Pond Boss
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 01:23 AM
Since I no longer have catfish in my almost 3 yr old pond, the BG have taken over. When I feed Optimal, they are in a frenzy, splashing and churning the water about like I've seen when feeding in a trout hatchery.

There are at least a hundred BG from six to nine inches that rush to me when I walk up the bank in the evening before sunset when I feed. They will come up to the pier and grab food right from my hand. Rolling all over each other.

I have about six or seven LM bass in there from eight to fourteen inches, and maybe some LMB recruitment from late last year.

There are hordes of smaller BG from two to five inches. I don't know f I can afford to feed all those BG. How can I tell if the LMB are controlling them?

It's about 1/4 acre, 10 ft deep in the middle.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 02:32 AM
John, sounds like you are in pretty good shape! You'll know if insufficient LMB recruitment if BG growth stalls out. Since LMB are notorious for outbreeding their forage, even BG, your situation is fine.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 11:03 AM
Maybe not fine. Without a predator, BG can also over spawn. I have to periodically seine my 1/4 acre forage pond. I’ve had DO crashes and BG kills. keep an eye on it.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 01:39 PM
Is that frenzied kind of feeding normal for BG? They get in a big wad and roll all over each other and break the surface with their sides. I could feed over a dip net and bring up probably 15-20 of them.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 02:23 PM
Mine do that so wild that if you drop feed over the edge of the pier you will get wet from the splashing
Posted By: Jeff Calvin Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 04:52 PM
YES! You have acheived greatness....for the near future moment. Feed more, fish more, and eat more fish. Life is good.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 05:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Jeff Calvin
YES! You have acheived greatness....for the near future moment. Feed more, fish more, and eat more fish. Life is good.

Only my original stocked BG are big enough to eat. I have read on here not to take out the original stock.
Posted By: ewest Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 06:56 PM
Yes that type of feeding activity is common with BG and LMB. I would not harvest my initial stockers unless they were overstocked (to many originally). You do not have to feed them like children (until all are full). It is called supplemental feeding. You may have to harvest some mid sized BG or seine some out.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Yes that type of feeding activity is common with BG and LMB. I would not harvest my initial stockers unless they were overstocked (to many originally). You do not have to feed them like children (until all are full). It is called supplemental feeding. You may have to harvest some mid sized BG or seine some out.

Are you saying I shouldn't feed BG to satiation, like I did last year with CC?
The way they eat, it seems impossible to feed BG to satiation.
Posted By: Tbar Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 10:29 PM
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
Is that frenzied kind of feeding normal for BG? They get in a big wad and roll all over each other and break the surface with their sides. I could feed over a dip net and bring up probably 15-20 of them.

When I feed I have fish leaping out of the water during feeding.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Bluegill feeding frenzy - 04/25/18 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Tbar
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald

When I feed I have fish leaping out of the water during feeding.

One BG got so excited that he actually wriggled about half his body up on shore to get an errant food pellet, then wriggled back into the water. If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it.
© Pond Boss Forum