Pond Boss
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Sinking Catfish food - 10/28/17 08:49 PM
I am thinking of getting some for the colder months....is it worthwhile? It's a special order from Purina for my local dealer.

I have been feeding about 55 CC in a 1/4 acre pond since March trying to get them table-ready. So far they are only about 15" and 1.25 pounds. I would like them two pounds plus by mid May next year. They will stop feeding on top any day now.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Sinking Catfish food - 10/29/17 12:38 AM
IMHO I would not do it. My reasoning is that when the water cools the CC metabolism slows and they eat very little. I would worry the sinking pellets go uneaten and just add nutrients to the pond. Since they are sinking, how would you know if they are being eaten?
Posted By: snrub Re: Sinking Catfish food - 10/29/17 03:16 AM
I have mixed sinking and floating before but only a small portion of sinking. I figured as long as they were eating the floating they were getting the sinking also because the fish seem to prefer feed on the bottom or mid water over what is floating on the surface.

But I have not fed any sinking for the last couple years.

I always just got mine at my local Coop. They kept it in stock, so I assume they must sell a little of it.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Sinking Catfish food - 10/31/17 04:44 PM
I ordered some sinking food from the larger Coop store in Fayetteville. They said it would take about a week.
© Pond Boss Forum