Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Anybody know a good trapper? - 10/10/17 09:37 PM
I've got a beaver (I think) that is eating too many of my pond plants. Never got a close look, so could be muskrat or nutria, but it does have a den. Fortunately, the den isn't on the dam, but I'd still like to get rid of the critter.

Does anyone know a good trapper? Critter seems to be mostly nocturnal.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Anybody know a good trapper? - 10/10/17 10:26 PM
Muskrat will have a tail that looks like a snake following it as it swims. The beaver if you get to close to his den he will slap his tail at you.

Best and most effective way is to sit with a 22 on the shore at dawn and dusk. If eating your pond plants bulbs it will be a muskrat. If you want to keep the pelt or keep blood out of the water just shoot the water just under his head. The 22 shock wave will knock him out and he will drown with no mess. Same for beaver. Now is the time to get them before they settle in for the winter to have a bunch of baby's.

Too bad the pelt is really only worth $10 buck. As a kid I loved trapping them and cleaning them up for a few extra bucks.

If your going to trap them get some parsnip and leg hole traps. Check to make sure leg holes are legal!!! They can not resist parsnip on the trigger. Just cut a shelf in the mud bank to lay the trap on about 1" out of the water level. They love that flat ledge right next to the water.

I have a mink that is very crafty. We got one two years ago and another is trying to set up house keeping in our pond.

Cheers Don.

Posted By: anthropic Re: Anybody know a good trapper? - 10/11/17 03:00 AM
Thanks! Sounds more like a muskrat, despite some older beaver sign.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Anybody know a good trapper? - 10/11/17 12:16 PM
Frank, I would be more than happy to pass along trapping skills I was taught by Highflyer. If you are interested to learn about how to trap and remove fur baring pond pest just let me know. I am no expert but I have removed one very large beaver and 4 Otters in the last 12 months. I suspect from your most recent description here there may be an Otter in the mist.
© Pond Boss Forum