Pond Boss
Posted By: Jack Horn Recommendations on feeders - 09/28/17 10:54 PM
I am about to start feeding my pond. I am looking for an economical solution to the 500+ dollar pond feeders. 200-250 is the higher end of what I want to spend, but would love even less than that. I have looked at some of the Moultree and Wildgame innovations models and read both good and bad reviews. Looking for recommendations based off of ya'lls experience. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Posted By: Flame Re: Recommendations on feeders - 09/28/17 11:46 PM
Well Jack, I am in deep east Texas. Dug 2 acre pond in 2014. Did the deer feeder thing because I already had one and fish were only 3 inch long. Got tired of paddling out to feeder to fill every 3 weeks and it really never did distribute like it needed to. Bit the bullet 2 years ago and mounted a TH feeder on the dock. Best decision I made as far as feeding goes. And it is right there if I want to grab some and hand feed for fun. Easy to fill. Mine has run 360 days a year for 2 years and not a single jam or problem. I travel a lot so peace of mind knowing my feeder is working makes me one happy camper. Just my 2 pennys worth. Good luck with whatever you decide!!
Posted By: dale k Re: Recommendations on feeders - 09/29/17 12:12 PM
I have a Moultrie works good. you need to have solar charger. I do have 2 TH. worth the money in the long run
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Recommendations on feeders - 09/29/17 12:44 PM
I have a Aqua Pro. I originally hated it. Had a few problems. Leak, turned out to be coming in the cable for the solar charger. Timer issues, turned out to be in the wiring harness.
This summer it's been flawless. No issues what so ever. I did have someone at the pond last summer that told me the Texas Hunter feeders throw the feed a lot further and over a wider area. But, as of right now, I'm happy with my purchase. It was a lot less expensive than the other more popular feeder.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Recommendations on feeders - 09/29/17 06:43 PM
Here you go Mr. Jack. 175 bucks.... a couple of rechargeable batteries so you can swap them when needed and your good to go. Would I like a TH feeder? Sure I would but I can make 3 of these for that price... There are 2 Cons to this type of feeder.

1. From time to time the AM600 wont drop down onto the plate because of the humidity. This happens to me once or twice a week when it's real humid the food will drop back down usually by the evening feeding or morning feeding depending on when it hangs up, but it's not gonna kill your fish if they miss a feeding. At least it hasn't mine in the past 7 years. lol

2. Yes you do have to go out in a boat to fill it up or have a return line of some sort on the shore to pull it in and then send it back out. Otherwise been using it sense 2010 and it's still working fine.

RC

Posted By: NEDOC Re: Recommendations on feeders - 09/30/17 02:24 AM
I've had decent luck with Moultrie 30 gallon Feedcaster. Doesn't throw it far but gets the job done.
Posted By: Jack Horn Re: Recommendations on feeders - 10/06/17 11:37 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. We set up a feed caster and will see how it does. So far, its working good.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Recommendations on feeders - 10/07/17 01:33 AM
It may struggle with larger feeds like Aquamax 600 and such but otherwise it should work ok.
Posted By: DuckweedWarrior Re: Recommendations on feeders - 10/08/17 04:42 PM
If you were on a budget, I would also agree with using a deer feeder. I've had great success using a Moultrie 30 gallon feeder on the tripod. I bought mine at tractor supply for $75… I had to extend the legs using PVC pipes since I put mine in deeper water, but it has been working Great all summer using both AM MVP and AM 600
Posted By: Dinsmoreoutdoors Re: Recommendations on feeders - 10/11/17 12:18 AM
I have a Aqua pro feeder and never had a problem with it at all, throws the feed from the feeder dock to the middle of the pond with no problem at only half the price of a TX hunter!

Posted By: anthropic Re: Recommendations on feeders - 10/11/17 03:06 AM
Jack, the drawback of a feeder in the water is that you need a boat to get to it. The advantages are that you don't have issues with ants, or GBH.
© Pond Boss Forum