Pond Boss
Posted By: Layne Start to feed train bluegill - 02/25/17 03:35 PM
I've bought a feeder and aquamax 500.
My pond is about 3 ac. in size and I live in Southwest Tenn.

We've had a very warm winter and temps have been 60 -80 deg for a couple weeks so I decided to start to feed. I have a bass heavy pond with large BG.

Since I am just starting to feed train how long should I expect it to take before I start seeing BG feed in significant numbers?
Yesterday was the first feeding, I ran the feeder for just 1 second at 5:00 pm.
I saw maybe one or two BG feed, most feed was untouched which is what I was expecting in the beginning.

Is it still a little early to start feeding?

I don't know how long it will take to get the BG feed trained but I am a heck of a turtle feeder, I have them all trained in one day...
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Start to feed train bluegill - 02/27/17 12:20 PM
Layne, it may take a week or two for them to come in volume, but they always seem to come. With the shallow water warming up, I'd be surprised if it took that long though.

Floating turtle traps close to the feeder's throwing lanes will help a lot. I usually don't worry about them until I start seeing double digits waiting on the feeder throws.
Posted By: chambers270 Re: Start to feed train bluegill - 02/27/17 01:53 PM
My FHM and BG started coming to the Optimal Jr I was throwing in just a few days. I threw it in the same area at the same time of day.
Posted By: Layne Re: Start to feed train bluegill - 02/28/17 02:29 PM
Thanks guys, there are a lot of turtles so I'll watch that and see how that goes.
Hopefully the BG show up soon in numbers.
© Pond Boss Forum