Pond Boss
Posted By: beastman Ziegler vs Purina vs Optimal - 02/24/17 07:28 PM
Will be feeding the following:
HSB, SMB, YP , HBG, RES, and Trout during Spring/Fall

Currently using Ziegler, high protein pellet as Trout are only fish currently stocked.

Moving forward should I just continue with Ziegler once all fish are stocked? Trying to feed something that will benefit all fish. Pellet will be a main component of the fish growth so want something that will benefit them all if possible.

Don't mind mixing but not really sure how I will be able to target the species effectively.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Ziegler vs Purina vs Optimal - 02/24/17 09:44 PM
I use Martins fish feed but I do believe that the key is protein and if it floats or sinks.

I have found that higher fat content feed tends to sink more. I feed higher fat content to the shiners or smaller fish in the 2.5mm and the floating to the larger fish in the 6mm size.

We have not found that the fish end up with that liver taste with the martins fish feed. It seems to give the most natural taste to the fish yet.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Ziegler vs Purina vs Optimal - 02/25/17 01:45 AM
If feeding Zeigler to mixed fish and YP I suggest using Zeigler Silver - 40%.
Posted By: beastman Re: Ziegler vs Purina vs Optimal - 03/01/17 08:54 PM
Thanks Bill, I think I have the 44% protein now for the trout. so once that is gone will change over to the 40%. Might do a mix of all 3 feeds eventually , or do some experimenting...

Trout only in the pond now, adding some YP and FHM in the next week or so....all this rain has the pond muddy again but usually clears within a week or so to a couple feet visibility.
Posted By: beastman Re: Ziegler vs Purina vs Optimal - 03/21/17 08:30 PM
With the Optimal special they have , I went ahead and bought 2 bags of the bass food. I still have a good amount of the Zeigler so will probably mix the two for awhile. Have some 4-8" YP , HSB 8-12", 4-6" RES and HBG going in soon, thinking the 9mm size will be ok for all of them... SMB will be stocked later...
© Pond Boss Forum