Pond Boss
Posted By: djstauder Larvae in AM MVP - 02/20/17 03:10 PM
I bought my first bag of Aquamax MVP about 3 months ago and started using about 1 month ago after I ran out of my stock of AM400 and AM600 which I usually mix together. After purchase, I immediately poured the contents of the MVP into three buckets for storage. I've noticed that all three bucket have small larvae of some kind in them. I can only assume it was in the bag when I received it... Has anyone else noticed this?
Posted By: ewest Re: Larvae in AM MVP - 02/20/17 03:39 PM
I had that happen one time in food that had been held at the Feed Store for a mth.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Larvae in AM MVP - 02/20/17 04:03 PM
Any harm in going ahead and using it with the "Bonus" bugs as long as it's not spoiled?
Posted By: ewest Re: Larvae in AM MVP - 02/20/17 08:41 PM
I used the food I had like that but did so quickly (about a week). If however the food shows signs of mold or spoilage then don't use it.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Larvae in AM MVP - 02/20/17 09:10 PM
I got two bags of catfish pellets late last summer that had flour beetles and their larvae in them. Not spoiled and no mold. I put some diatomaceous earth in it and it seemed to eventually kill the bugs.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Larvae in AM MVP - 02/21/17 12:48 PM
I would return it to the store.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Larvae in AM MVP - 02/21/17 02:05 PM
thanks, ya'll... I have been using it because, I assumed, the little larvae would be eaten up like the food. I saw no mold. I just put the last 10-15 pounds in the feeder so should be gone in a a couple of weeks.

The history is that I normally mix AM400 and AM600 to feed different sizes near the feeder. I've been trying to order MVP for over a year since I started reading about it on this site. At first, the Purina contact for my farm store said he couldn't get it but I continued to ask the farm store guy every time I was in there and, finally, he was able to order it. The MVP may have spent a week at the farm store but, if so, that is my fault because I don't get to the pond every weekend.

JohnF, I had to google "diatomaceous earth" Interesting stuff! Where do you get it?
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Larvae in AM MVP - 02/21/17 03:14 PM
I got a bag of diatomaceous earth at the local Farmers Coop store. I think you might even get it at WalMart when in season.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Larvae in AM MVP - 02/21/17 09:42 PM
Lowes also carry it... make sure it's not the swimming pool filter stuff or it won't kill nuttin
© Pond Boss Forum