Pond Boss
Posted By: Hollywood Redneck feeder - 09/01/15 01:21 AM
My Dad (84) told me he used to fish for trout in a small pond in PA when he was a kid. Clear water & spooky fish made for tough fishing. Until they put a dead woodchuck in an onion bag and hung it over the pond from a limb. Maggots would roll out and fall into the pond, holding the attention of the fish. A tug on the line would drop a bunch of maggots, starting a feeding frenzy. Might give it a shot next year. Free feed. And... it's "green"... so to speak.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Redneck feeder - 09/01/15 01:37 AM
I think there's a thread or two about that here, somewhere. I can't speak as to the dispensing method, but can sure vouch for maggots as a great enticement. Hands down my favorite live bait.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Redneck feeder - 09/01/15 03:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Hollywood
My Dad (84) told me he used to fish for trout in a small pond in PA when he was a kid. Clear water & spooky fish made for tough fishing. Until they put a dead woodchuck in an onion bag and hung it over the pond from a limb. Maggots would roll out and fall into the pond, holding the attention of the fish. A tug on the line would drop a bunch of maggots, starting a feeding frenzy. Might give it a shot next year. Free feed. And... it's "green"... so to speak.

Sounds a lot like my mom's favorite salt water bait, dead shrimp. Nobody fished downwind from her, but she sure caught fish! grin
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Redneck feeder - 09/01/15 12:09 PM
Rednick feeder's I thought only existed is the southern states, like Texas and Louisiana haha. I think I might pass on hanging a stinking animal over any area of the pond. WHEW !!

Tracy
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Redneck feeder - 09/01/15 12:53 PM
See Black Soldier Fly Project.

It was a very long thread about how to use maggots as an automatic feeder. sick
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Redneck feeder - 09/01/15 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
See Black Soldier Fly Project.

It was a very long thread about how to use maggots as an automatic feeder. sick

That's the one I was thinking of....thanks Ken.

I've always considered the term "redneck" as describing a mental attitude, rather than a geographic location.
Posted By: Hollywood Re: Redneck feeder - 09/02/15 12:15 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
[quote=catmandoo]See [url=http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=386365&page=1

I've always considered the term "redneck" as describing a mental attitude, rather than a geographic location.

You are correct, sir! I live in upstate NY. I've never been to NYC... it's 5 and a half hours away- and I have no business there or interest to go. But, I could introduce you to some of the finest NY rednecks you could ever imagine. They'd be right at home about anywhere you could plant them. Except, perhaps, New York City...
© Pond Boss Forum