Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Hydrating feed - 07/06/15 01:42 AM
I've never bought into the idea of soaking pellets in water. I figured when they hit the water they got hydrated.

However, today I noticed that small BG would just peck at the feed but not really get any of it. The larger ones had no problem. So, I hydrated some AMAX 500 in a baggie for about 3 or 4 minutes. When I dropped it out near the shoreline, the 1 to 2 inch BG and GSF actually picked it up into their mouths and swam away with it. Quite a difference in enthusiasm.

I'm convinced.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Hydrating feed - 07/06/15 02:12 AM
Dave, Bill Cody got me hydrating pellets a few yrs ago. It makes a big difference. I got about a dozen YP from Cecil and have em in a cage till I can get time to mark em. They will not surface feed but when I drop in the hydrated pellets (I have ta squeeze the pellets ta get em ta sink) they go crazy. Cecil spoiled them. Just hope when I turn em loose they will pick up surface feeding from the ones that do.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hydrating feed - 07/06/15 02:23 AM
Totally sold on hydrating feed. To me, it's about getting the feed into the fish. Whatever enables me to do that more effectively, is the way I want to go. I think the fish prefer the mouth feel of softer feed.
Posted By: esshup Re: Hydrating feed - 07/06/15 03:54 AM
Bob, How many do you have in that cage? wink grin

You eat the HSB yet?
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Hydrating feed - 07/06/15 03:59 AM
I believe 12. I know I should get em loose in the pond and am going to try tomorrow.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Hydrating feed - 07/06/15 01:19 PM
I notice BG lazily pecking at the LMB pellets while floating but go crazy once it starts sinking.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Hydrating feed - 07/06/15 03:15 PM
"I've never bought into the idea of soaking pellets in water. I figured when they hit the water they got hydrated"
I forgot to mention, I usually hsve to squeeze the air out after they are hydrated, I take about 4 0r 5 pellets at a time and that makes for a nice chunk.
© Pond Boss Forum