Pond Boss
Posted By: aeb Protecting a feeder - 05/03/15 03:22 PM
My luck ran out. I have had Texas Hunter fish feeders at three ponds for several years and have had no problems with livestock until this year. Apparently some of the new yearlings in one pasture have fallen in love with that pond feeder and pretty well loved it to death. Somehow managed to get the side panel off, same for the lid, stomped on, etc. How a yearling could get his tongue that far up inside the cabinet is beside me?

Anyone use a cage around their feeders?
Posted By: dale k Re: Protecting a feeder - 05/03/15 04:57 PM
don't feel too bad mine ended up head butted in the pond and a little dented up. in think i just have to fence them off good
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Protecting a feeder - 05/04/15 12:19 AM
Yeah, I've seen several really serious fences around feeders but also on docks with feeders. They have sometimes been due to cattle but mostly pigs. Once they get started; well, you know the rest about trying to teach heifers manners.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Protecting a feeder - 05/04/15 12:48 AM
I suspect feeders make good rubbing posts as well.
Posted By: snrub Re: Protecting a feeder - 05/04/15 02:02 AM
Solar power electric fence??? grin
Posted By: Cisco Re: Protecting a feeder - 05/04/15 05:29 PM
I use cattle panels and T posts around my deer feeders to the hogs out. I assume you could do the same by the pond.
Posted By: esshup Re: Protecting a feeder - 05/04/15 09:13 PM
I've got a friend and client who put 4 pc. of drill pipe in the ground, made a frame that fit on top of the drill pipe and has the feeder sitting about 40" up off the ground at the edge of the pond on top of the drill pipe.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Protecting a feeder - 05/06/15 10:29 PM
I T post all of my deer feeder legs. Hogs have tried to knock them over and dig them up. No problems.

I know absolutely no way to whip a determined horse.
© Pond Boss Forum