Pond Boss
Posted By: Arktiger Hyrbid Bluegill feeding - 04/28/15 07:33 PM
I stocked my pond with CC and HBG in early March. The CC have finally started feeding well but I have not seen any HBG. Do they take longer to take to food than CC. Just anxious to know that they survived stocking.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Hyrbid Bluegill feeding - 04/28/15 08:21 PM
They can take longer sometimes. Try walking around tossing some in.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hyrbid Bluegill feeding - 04/28/15 08:21 PM
What sizes were the fish? (Both the CC and the HBG)
Posted By: Arktiger Re: Hyrbid Bluegill feeding - 04/29/15 12:05 AM
They were about as small as they come. Just two or three inches. The CC were a little bigger than the HBG.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hyrbid Bluegill feeding - 04/29/15 01:05 AM
In that case, give them some more time. Make sure you're feeding a pellet that is sized appropriately, feed at the same time everyday, and like Dave mentioned, try feeding in a few different locations to see if you can locate some fish.

It does take time, and smaller fish may be cautious in the beginning. Stick with it.
Posted By: snrub Re: Hyrbid Bluegill feeding - 04/29/15 01:22 AM
Mash a few pellets up with pliers or other suitable means and feed by hand in the same area for a while. If you are using regular size fish pellets it takes a 4 or five inch BG to swallow a dry one. Smaller fish will peck away at the pellets as they soften, but your CC may be hogging the feed before the HBG get a chance to learn it is food. HBG have bigger mouths than BG, but still a small fish will have a tough time with a big pellet till they learn how to consume them.

Small pellets and meal are made specially for fry, but most of us can only get it by special order. The alternative is to mash some bigger pellets up. Till they learn and grow just a little.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Hyrbid Bluegill feeding - 04/29/15 01:32 AM
I am not a pro but FWIW I stocked 2 to 3 inch pellet trained PS last fall and they are starting to hit the 3.5 mm pellets I toss them this spring fairly well. IMHO I would expect the same size HBG would have a larger mouth gap than my PS and be able to take the same size. Did you buy pellet trained HBG?
© Pond Boss Forum