Pond Boss
Posted By: Mike Schmitt Water temp to start feeding - 04/01/15 10:56 AM
What water temp do you guys start slinging pellets? I think last year I waited until the end of April in northern Indiana, and can't remember the water temp then.......heck what did I have for supper last night?
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/01/15 12:19 PM
Mike, I am in E. Texas and N. La and that is a pretty good distance from you. I can tell you that here the CNBG started nailing the feed aggressively when the water temp hit 67. Before that they did feed a little but @ 67 degrees they are tearing up the feed. I am curious as to what happens on your pond up north so maybe u might post what water temp do your bg get aggressive?

Tracy
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/01/15 02:30 PM
Mike, toss some in and see what happens.
Posted By: DNickolaus Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/01/15 02:44 PM
I'm more southerly IN, but my water is 45 F deep and up to mid50s on a warm sunny day at the surface, back to mid40s at night. The fish are already taking a small amount of pellets. I started the feeder on short times, just to get them back in the habit. I fed by hand a few times to judge their response. They kept cleaning up what I put out, so I took that to mean they were ready to chow regularly.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/01/15 02:50 PM
I'm also at mid forties on water temps, and I have been feeding small amounts by hand for about a week now.
Posted By: CMM Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/01/15 04:23 PM
BG in West Central Missouri are eating pretty well now. Water temps mid to high 50's.
CMM
Posted By: RC51 Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/01/15 06:56 PM
Yeah there smacking that stuff here already! Been for about 3 weeks. But it is warmer down here for sure! I am not sure but I venture to say my water was mid 50 last time I was there. I am not far from the Missouri border so maybe Mid to upper 50's for me now. I think they really start to take off close to the 55 to 60 range water temp wise! Least that's what I have notice for the past 4 years on my pond. They will eat before that but it's kinda slow for me.

RC
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/02/15 02:02 PM
Haven't check temp, but I have been feeding by hand at lunch and yet have been eating here too..
Posted By: Mike Schmitt Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/03/15 11:22 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get some AM 600 and get to it!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/03/15 01:05 PM
Surface water temps were in the high forties last night, tried feeding in every pond. Good results from all species, HBG, BG, LMB, YP, CC, HSB all active.

It's on.
Posted By: BradVV Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/03/15 05:54 PM
Good thing I ordered my AM 500 & 600 yesterday, because it sounds like the dinner bell is ringing.

I don't know the water temp in my central Iowa pond, but noticed BG's swimming by shore & looking around 2 days ago. So figured that they were hungry & I better get my pellets ordered.
Posted By: RAH Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/04/15 11:51 AM
I had some slow feeding by BG in the last few days. Lots of fish, but moving very slow.
Posted By: Mike Schmitt Re: Water temp to start feeding - 04/06/15 09:37 PM
The LMB, SMB and BG are taking moderate amounts of food. The LMB are really aggresive and eyeing the small BG in sight. I installed a digital timer on my cheap feeder, and it will help my feed scedule before the wind kicks up in the morning. I am excited about it!
© Pond Boss Forum