Pond Boss
Posted By: burgermeister winter feeding? - 11/07/05 07:07 PM
I hope this doesn't put me under too much scrutiny. Be gentle.

I know people use floating pellets to monitor consumption, or just like to see them feeding. I also realize that metabolism goes way down with lower temps, and that fish wont come out of the stabilized temps of deeper water to surface feed, BUT, fish still eat in winter, i.e., ice fishing, bottom fishing for catfish in winter, vice suspended in summer near thermocline.

Could you not bulk up BG and catfish by feeding lightly 1 or 2 times per wk. with a slowly sinking feed? I know it can't be monitored, but I dont think this much feed even if not consumed would cause a severe water quality problem that couldnt be cleared up quickly when aeration is re-started. I would think it beats chasing live prey for a lethargic fish.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: winter feeding? - 11/07/05 07:23 PM
BM,

Your theory makes sense to me...common sense. Don't know if you realize it, but that's part of Deb's program for GG's...feeding sinking pellets a couple of times a week in winter.

Haven't tried it before myself, but plan to try it on the experiment with GG's. I also wonder if HSB would benefit from that kind of feeding in winter.
Posted By: Debra King Re: winter feeding? - 11/07/05 07:24 PM
We have had success with a 45% protein sinking pellet used ever 2-3 days throughout the winter months. Both the GG, cats, and HSB will feed (albeit slower) during the winter months. This especially holds true in the Southern States where our winter months are so few. I guess amount fed and frequency of feedings would depend on location, but I still think it is a good idea to continue with a feeding program of some type.

Deb
Posted By: ewest Re: winter feeding? - 11/07/05 09:53 PM
BM & ML :

If you want to feed BG in winter here is a non-long hair idea.

Use an underwater platform either fixed or suspended below floats. I like the later as it is movable and depth changeable. The advantage is you can monitor the eating and the food does not end up on the bottom. You can condition the fish by placing a feeder where it throws food over the platform to attract fish then once conditioned stop the feeder. Place some sinking pellets on the platform before conditioning. Soon they will be eating off the platform. Do consider location , depth/water temp. and pellet longevity. That way the fish can eat when they want and you can monitor activity and ammounts. On demand feeders have been addressed on the forum and can sub. for this. Turtles can be a problem as ours like fish food. ewest
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: winter feeding? - 11/07/05 10:13 PM
That's a clever idea, EWEST, non-long hair or not!

In this small pond, maybe a sheet of used roofing tin (which I have an abundant supply of thanks to Rita \:\( ) would serve that purpose. I like the idea of keeping it off the bottom...if the pellets aren't eaten, then one could dispose of them rather than foul the bottom.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: winter feeding? - 11/07/05 10:26 PM
I like it. Thanks, but surely, ewest, there is a formula for depth, vs. temp. vs. %protein. \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: winter feeding? - 11/08/05 12:51 AM
... and the length of day, and whether it's before or after the Winter Solstice. But don't worry, the Research Librarian will find it and post a link! ;\)
Posted By: ewest Re: winter feeding? - 11/08/05 03:05 AM
Thanks guys. \:D \:D BM I don't do forumlas I will leave that to the ME's, EE's, CE's , Phd's or other figureees. ML I think tin would be good -- keep it flat and bend up the edges to keep food from washing off. Theo no links --look in your email. ewest
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: winter feeding? - 11/08/05 11:09 AM
How about a demand feeder? Some time back a guy posted about using a piece of PVC pipe with holes and the bottom end capped off. Strap it to a dock post. The fish, reportedly, would come and suck the mushy feed out. Sounds goofy but several people said that it works.
Posted By: Debra King Re: winter feeding? - 11/08/05 01:22 PM
Actually we use both of the above stated in our catfish cages during the winter. We have a demand feeder and a bottom pan. The demand feeder is constucted as a barrel with a pole sticking out of a hole drilled through the bottom. The fish "hit" the pole (like Pavlov's dogs theory), and the feed drops into the cage a few pieces at the time. Then there is a pan that curves up slightly at the bottom of the cage that catches any uneaten food. The pan can be removed and replaced at the owners convienence.
Winter feeding is a plus in my opinion as long as you don't overdo it!

Deb
Posted By: ewest Re: winter feeding? - 11/08/05 02:07 PM
BM & DD:

Here are the 2 prior posts DD referenced.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001917

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000128
© Pond Boss Forum