Pond Boss
Posted By: Bill Duggan night feeding - 10/23/05 08:17 PM
Anyone feed at night?
My feeder can be set to feed two hours before day break and two hours after nightfall which I have never done. Yesterday I was at the farm one hour before day break for the start of deer season and checked the feeder. The 6 volt battery had gone dead since last saturday so I put another one in and tested it. The cats went crazy like I have never seen before. The dock got wet from their aggresiveness. I'm thinking of resetting the timer for one feeding two hours before dawn.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: night feeding - 10/23/05 11:57 PM
Bill, that is prime feeding time for cats in the wild. If feeding the cats is your main objective, by all means go for it. BTW, Walmart now carries 6 volt rechargable and a small solar cell; then no more dead batteries. Look in the hunting/deer feeder section. Your cats are spoiled!
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: night feeding - 10/24/05 01:47 PM
Maybe in the summer month but with recent weather the cats will slow sramaitcally. Yopu should see them really slwoing down soon and feeding at night when cold is a bad idea, ok in summer I would think. I think it was more a funciton of not being fed for awhile. Duggan if you need one I have solar panel ($40) and and a free charger if coming this way.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: night feeding - 10/25/05 12:22 AM
Bill, sorry, I forgot it is fall, until I went out this morning and 48. Of course it is a terrible idea. What was I thinking? As Greg said, MAYBE it would be OK in the summer. Or maybe I've just been lucky all my life in pre-dawn hrs. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: night feeding - 10/25/05 03:26 AM
My trout feed well after dark. However in all fairness there are enough security lights at the neighbors to give the pond some light and they should have no trouble seeing the feed. I've gone out on the deck a few hours after sunset and they are still popping the pellets.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: night feeding - 10/25/05 02:42 PM
Bill I know you are smart enough to listen to me and not some idiot who is just a smart ass every chance he gets. The cats I raise have started feeding on 80% less food the last few days from the weather. I don't want you to waste the food and I think you like feeing the bluegill as well and they will fed longer into the season.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: night feeding - 10/25/05 03:48 PM
The whole idea of feeding the cats early, to give the BG a better chance at feed later in the morning.

smart ass idiot
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: night feeding - 10/25/05 04:45 PM
BM, If you undestood how metabloism is effected from temperature you might get it. Bill my recommendations going forward this fall is one feeding at the hottest part of the day this gives best chance to carry bluegill feeding and hopefully a few cats into December maybe longer.

BM, glad you have the stars turned off b/c I have never given a 2 much less a 1 but you deserve it.
Posted By: Bill Duggan Re: night feeding - 10/25/05 04:55 PM
Greg you are right about the time of year I guess I was thinking about next summer
© Pond Boss Forum