Pond Boss
Posted By: Ric Swaim Cottonseed meal - 06/05/05 07:50 PM
Anyone know where I can get cottonseed meal?
Posted By: JB Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/05/05 09:26 PM
Ric, I dont know if you know but cottonseed meal, is fed to cattle. So any co-op or feed store with horse, or cattle feed would probably have it.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/06/05 12:35 AM
It used to be so common we could buy it at the hardware store.
When I ask now, even at feed stores I get blank looks. "Never heard of it"

When I was a kid we used it to bait minnow traps & feed the minnows. I'm going to be setting some traps soon.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/06/05 01:31 AM
Ric, call Purina or other feed mills.
Posted By: Bill Duggan Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/06/05 11:21 AM
Around here all Feed and Seed stores have it. I use it in my feed trough for deer and toss some in the pond for the minnows
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/06/05 01:51 PM
20% protein range cubes are good also for forage fish. They are large pellets of alfalfa. The 20% will sink and draw hords of minnows, small fish. Get at feed sstores.
Posted By: ewest Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/07/05 07:18 PM
Burgermeister :

I sent you a PM on your question. ewest
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/08/05 02:14 AM
Got the E mail Ewest. What are you feeding your BG and Chinquipin? Do the RE take food? Thats what I'm looking for. Big bream for the grandkids like we caught when I was a kid with a cane pole.
Posted By: ewest Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/08/05 02:44 AM
Burgermeister :

I am feeding the BG/RE Gamefish Chow. It has a mix of all different size pellets so all can eat. I am not sure if the RE eat pellets or not. I have seen posts and talked to people who say yes and some say no. I have even had different answers from fisheries biologists. Greg Grimes started a post a few weeks ago on supp. feeding of RE but no one seemed to answer the question. ewest
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/08/05 02:47 AM
It sounds like from the size of yours, that no supplemental feeding is necessary, at least in Mississippi. So, where do you get your snails? ;\)
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/10/05 10:29 PM
Ok, I found cottonsead meal & the fatheads & tadpoles love it, but would still like to get some cottonsead cake.
Anyone know of a supplier that would ship?

ps: Thanks for the suggestions!
Posted By: deaner Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/11/05 03:35 PM
Many times we put in writing items where self expression can not be read and it turns out being received wrongly. I am not trying to hijack this topic, only trying to express ( in a poor way) that his wording may be received wrongly. Sometimes it is how it hits us at the time. I believe he is being misunderstood. I feel you both express your selves very well. Lets continue with this discussion and be a good gentleman on this forum.
Posted By: Frank Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/11/05 09:49 PM
When I asked about "meal cakes" to use in a trap, my local farm feed store said they are only sold in a 30 pound block measuring about 12 in x 12 in x 12 in. I bought one block and chip or break off small pieces.

Frank
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/12/05 08:29 PM
Thanks Frank,
That's exactly what I was wanting to do.

I'm now trying to find a way to package the "meal" for bait in a trap so it will stay in the trap since I can't find "cake"
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/13/05 04:02 PM
Ric, why don't you just wrap the meal in a burlap bag?
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Cottonseed meal - 06/13/05 11:55 PM
Dave,
Thanks, I actually found some very small cheese cloth bags that look like they will work but will still look for the cake because it would be much easier.

Burgermiester,
Accepted. I probably jumped to soon as deaner said.
I'll delete the post.
Thanks for your very kind offer. I have searched the web without success but maybe like you suggested I need to try a different term.
If I can't find any though I will send you a check to ship some. One block should last a good while.

Thanks for the help!
© Pond Boss Forum