Pond Boss
Posted By: Greg Grimes Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/10/13 01:29 PM
I was curious since I sell both..... the thought process that goes into the purchase of these. Advantages and disadvantages of each. Please let me know your thoughts. I do know the underwater lights are more than the bojo lights that I sell. Also anyone ever compared bojo to other brand "bug lights". Or also comparison of the underwater lights. Thanks in advance for comments.
I know I wish I had both.. For me id be going with the underwater light just because its alot cooler to look at in the dark.. The bojo's cool but not at all as cool as something lighting up your pond under your dock.. Just my opinion even though I don't own one but maybe someday..
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/10/13 02:21 PM
Thanks BGK, any others have thoughts? I'm reserving my thoughts until the end.
I would think both are more for viewing and fun than they are for function..
Posted By: Omaha Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/10/13 02:54 PM
Bruce has both. I've never seen the bug light do anything when I've been out there, but I can attest to the cool factor of the Green Monster.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/10/13 02:55 PM
I agree that the underwater light looks cool, but in my area I wonder how long I would be able to enjoy it? For instance, right now my water looks about like chocolate milk....typical summer bloom in our ponds, with visibility around 22", and I can't imagine the combination of green light and brown water would be all that attractive.

So I guess that tips the scale in favor of the Bojo, for me at least. I do wonder just how much additional food the Bojo can provide, however.
When I read the thread title I saw BUD LIGHT and thought to myself, BEST THREAD EVER!!!!

Only to my disappointment...

As for lights...I think the Green Monster would be a great addition to my pond if I could bring myself to put electricty in the water...As mentioned in a couple of other threads, my boys are in the pond all the time and I just can't get past 220v in there...
Posted By: Bing Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/10/13 08:28 PM
I have both the Bojo and the Green Monster Underwater light. The underwater one is in about 4 feet of water right under the Bojo which is mounted on a corner of the dock. Both come on at dark and the small bugs gather around the Bojo and eventually get struck by the spinning mono and fall into the water. I see quite a few very small fish and an occasional bluegill in the water waiting for the bugs to hit. However I don't feel it is all that effective in either keeping the bugs down, or feeding the fry. It does create quite a mess around the light because the spiders build webs every night. Both are fun to have and a conversation starter but I can't really determine if they help that much in pond management.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/10/13 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
When I read the thread title I saw BUD LIGHT and thought to myself, BEST THREAD EVER!!!!

Only to my disappointment...

As for lights...I think the Green Monster would be a great addition to my pond if I could bring myself to put electricty in the water...As mentioned in a couple of other threads, my boys are in the pond all the time and I just can't get past 220v in there...

I saw the same thing. Guess we know what's on our minds. I have one in my hand sitting water side at my time share. I have to say though. Way better fishing at home.
Which lake is your time share on?...Way to many down there to even begin to guess...
Posted By: John Wann Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/10/13 09:27 PM

Lost Valley Lake
Posted By: John Wann Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/10/13 09:29 PM
My Bud light lime is green also.
Hello all,
Can't help myself. I feel the need to reply.
I suppose it depends on what you want, and where you are. If you merely want to see and view the fish and don't mind the extra money, by all means, buy the "cool" underwater lights. I'm not sure what benefit they have during the times you cannot see in the water yourself. I fertilize regulary, and only about 18" of water is visible. Not a lot to see. In my opinion, this adds absolutly nothing to the food chain. Does anybody believe otherwise?
Bug lights, under similar conditions, do not offer any more visibility, but they do add something to the food chain. I don't believe they are intended to take the place of or be the only source of food, but can anyone disagree that they do not add some value to fish?
I have neither and have seen neither. However I have fished with lights both floating and underwater.

Lights in the water attract (or so I am told and it makes sense) the tiny stuff that keeps Bill Cody awake nights. That brings small fish that eat the bugs/"minnows" and the bigger fish to eat the littler ones.

I can't believe that the bug lights can compete with pellets as nutrition. How much nutrition can a bug really provide?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/12/13 10:23 PM
I hoped for some more input on the subject and really hoped someone that had one of the products would chime in and answer why they bought it.
Seems like Bings the only one.. Whatcha gettin at Greg I'm interested smile
I have had both, still have bug lights working, disappointed in underwater lights with fertilizer and/or anything less than clear water; don't use underwater anymore.
Ya'll won't believe this and I would not have until I tried it. I took 30 feet of black plastic pipe and made a 10' diameter boomerang out of it. Tied this to the dock under the bug light. 3 hours later you could not put a pencil eraser in the circle without touching what I think was mosquitoes. The next morning they were gone. I then took white sheets an the bank and did the same thing. The bugs were still on the sheet the next morning. I think this proves the fish ate the bugs. Density of the bugs vary every night, but not sure enough credit is being given to bug lights
Posted By: gallop Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/13/13 02:23 AM
Florida has a lot of bugs
I'm getting a bojo first

My kids would love the coolness of the green giant, as bugdet allows, that's next.
Posted By: esshup Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/13/13 07:14 PM
If I were to look at putting both on my pond, I'd go with the Bojo first.
Posted By: Dawghall Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/14/13 01:08 AM
I'd go Bojo first, but both are cool for docks. I've caught many fish (bluegill, bass, and crappie) right next to Bojo's on a local 80 acre golf course pond.
I have a Wil-O-Wisp from Fresh Flow I bought years ago. Bill Cody has one too. Saw lots of small fish feed on bugs under it but the large bluegills didn't seem interested. I've since disconnected the fan that blows the insects on the water and use it to feed train yellow perch fingerlings.
I agree, the activity around an underwater light would be interesting to observe. However, I think that a bug light could add substantial forage to a pond. Depending of course, on the season, and the availability of bugs in the area.

From what I've read, many insects are very nutritious, even for human consumption. It's said, they can provide substantial amounts of protein, iron, calcium, and other essential minerals and vitamins. There are about 1,400 species of edible insects in the world, and nearly 3,000 ethnic groups worldwide that currently feast on them.

Theoretically, insects can be farmed far more efficiently than beef, pork, poultry, fish, or even agriculture crops. They may very well be a vital food source in the future for a growing human population.

Just imagine: A McBeetle Burger, or Kentucky Fried Crickets. Wait! How about a WhataBugger....... Would you like flies with that order?

Bugs In Your Teeth
Guess Greg gave up on this thread..
Posted By: Zep Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/24/13 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
would be a great addition to my pond if I could bring myself to put electricty in the water...my boys are in the pond all the time and I just can't get past 220v in there...

outdoorlivin I would say like you I am a bit wary of electric in water....
but I wonder if a GFCI plug would make the risk near
non-existent?

Would you also be afraid of a diffuser or is shock
impossible with an aeration system?

Do you know if most of the underwater lights are all 220V?

I think they look really cool.

Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/25/13 05:57 PM
In either case, I wont be getting one until they are solar powered, or making a solar one myself. LEDs are born for underwater lighting as their low voltage and high output at specific wavelengths. You can even get some pretty good blue and ultraviolet LEDs and make a solar BOJO. If either company want me to design something like that, PM me. I think it is very viable and safe.
Posted By: Zep Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/25/13 07:45 PM
liquid just curious why solar powered?

aren't LED's using only a fraction of the electricity
of traditional sources & dirt-cheap to operate?
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/25/13 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
In either case, I wont be getting one until they are solar powered, or making a solar one myself. LEDs are born for underwater lighting as their low voltage and high output at specific wavelengths. You can even get some pretty good blue and ultraviolet LEDs and make a solar BOJO. If either company want me to design something like that, PM me. I think it is very viable and safe.

Yep I will start a new thread on my LED DMX512 system I drop into my pond and treed yard.

I have two monster 36 watt LED high powered RGB lights to be placed in the water under the two leading edges of our dock. Its going to be fun playing with the programing. All wireless DMX512 operation.

36 watts of LED is just about equal to 200 watts.... huu waa.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: Zep Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/25/13 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Yep I will start a new thread on my LED DMX512 system I drop into my pond....I have two monster 36 watt LED high powered RGB lights to be placed in the water under the two leading edges of our dock.

Yes Don please do....and of course pictures would be great.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/27/13 01:42 PM
Solar would be very very hard to do with underwater lights. Even with LED the power required to run just 20 watts would cost close to $2500 in battery and solar panels if built to be stand alone. Biggest cost would be the glass mat batteries. Easy $1500 in batteries alone.

Guess if you didn't want to run it 12 hours a night would could switch it and only run it when you were on the dock. Then two deep cycle batteries and a 45 watt panel from harbor freight would get the job done.

Cheers Don.

P.S. Zep I will load up some pictures when the project is done. I am sure I will end up with the dock lights first then the waterfall and yard/tree lights after.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/29/13 09:58 PM
BGK things have super busy. I just wanted to hear the thoughts behind the choices made between the two was all. Thanks for your inputs it was helpful.
Glad you been busy any cool projects goin on you'd like to share?
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 07/30/13 11:05 AM
Sorry I forgot about this post. First off 20W Leds would be overkill. If just green for example, all energy is condensed in a single wavelength rather than spread out and filtered. You could likely use a 5W Led and it would outshine a 100W filtered bulb, if not more. Recent advancements in LEDs could improve this further, along with a decent power source. This is an application where you would not use a white LED and filter it.
Second, low voltage.
Third, the colder they are, the brighter. Water makes a nice heatsink.
Fourth, use LiON batteries, timers, and motion sensors. A hobby battery for an RC car or plane may be enough.
Fifth, not too hard to go to an RGB arrangement and get controllable color.

As far as the Bojo, I have no electricity at the pond. A few deep blue LEDs or UV would maybe be enough to draw in bugs, then only turn on the motor for short times once bugs have collected. Battery size for this may be more difficult as I have no idea of the motor requirements.

Maybe after vacation I will put something together and see if it gains traction. Work has been beyond nuts lately sapping my engineering juices.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Bug Light vs. Underwater green Light - 08/02/13 09:27 PM
Well I got in my under water lights today. The DMX function works great. The 36 watt LED lights look sick and can't wait to get them into the water. Should blaze the water.

Keep you guys and gals posted.

Cheers Don.
© Pond Boss Forum