Pond Boss
Posted By: catfishhunter Should I buy a feeder? - 09/26/04 11:47 AM
I'm new to this site and inexperienced with pond management so bare with me! I have 3 ponds but will limit this question to just one 1/2 acre pond. I had bass in it that were starved for food and not growing. I just stocked 5 lbs of fatheads and some bluegill and cats. My question is should I consider a feeder and if so, how often roughly would it need to be refilled if I feed once a day? I have a friend who lives nearby that could fill it for me depending on how often its necessary. Thanks for any advice!
Posted By: Norm Kopecky Re: Should I buy a feeder? - 09/26/04 02:29 PM
We have two Stren 75 feeders feeding Aquamax 600 on a 4 acre lake. From what I read in other areas of this forum, an aerator is essential. You're adding lots of nutrients to your lake and need take care of that. We have two aerators.

Our catfish eat like little hogs and grow faster. Do you really want something like that in your small pond? Both our bass and bluegills eat the pellets. You might consider removing the catfish. Feeding for one second once a day, you would probably only have to add feed once a month or less. We feed four times a day for one second. The pellets are all gone within five minutes.
Posted By: Christopher Re: Should I buy a feeder? - 09/27/04 01:06 PM
we have 2 200# stren feeders we refill with aquamax 20lb bags.. i think we put 2-3bags ever 3 weeks to a mth..... feeding times are twice a day!.. and we also have a 75# that we refill like every 2 weeks or so, 2 bags. feedings 2 times a day

good luck

chris
© Pond Boss Forum