Pond Boss
Posted By: Critterhunter Hanging Bug Zappers Over Water To Feed - 04/28/03 04:18 PM
Was wondering if anybody is using a bug zapper to feed bugs to fish in their pond and how well they like it. Also, what's the difference between those ones specificly built for ponds and your run of the mill bug zapper that can be bought at Walmart? Are there any solar powered units that can be used for this as well?
Critterhunter

I have looked into these but do not use one. Here is my take. The big difference between a "bug-a- matic" and a zappper is the zapper kills the bug where a bug-a-matic attracts bugs and then stuns them with a wire spining under the light. The theory is fish are more attracted to live bugs. Advantages; killing bugs and adding pure protein to the pond. Disadvantage; I don't think you are adding enough protein to make much of a difference.

I have seen a battery operated one advertized but not a solar powered one.
You don't want zapper that people use around their yards. It frys the bugs making them useless to the fish. I have the more expensive version made by Fresh Flow (I think it's called a Will 'o' wisp) that attracts with a circular black light and throws the bugs onto the water via a spinning fan not a spining cord. It does attract feeding bluegills, and I had one last year that was king of the pond right underneath it. Any bluegills that came near his area was forced away. I'd love to have another one to see how my trout would react to it in their pond.

I have noticed that their are peaks to when the bugs are abundant which is just after dark for a few hours then bug activity drops off dramatically. As far as worth it, I would say they will not make a lot of difference in your pond, but I will have an esoteric use for mine.

I have a low density of bluegills in my pond as I am attempting to grow large ones. It seems to attract about 50 to 100 6 to 7 inchers (The really big bluegills don't feed on the surface much), and I will be harvesting these by hook and line and crowding them into a floating cage. They will only get floating feed in the cage and once they are well trained I will cull out only the males and separate into another small pond. Then I will attempt to grow very large bluegills on feed with no reproduction to prevent stunting and no need for predator fish to put them off the feed (In one of my ponds the feed trained bass are so agreesive they push other species out of the way).
© Pond Boss Forum