Pond Boss
Posted By: jmed999 What type of fish feeder do I need? - 03/28/12 05:07 PM
My house and 17 others surround an 8 acre pond. It is about 5 ft deep average and 13 ft at the deepest part. We have tons of largemouth (some skinny) so I thought I may try to start feeding the bluegill. My goal is growing more trophy bass. I have caught several 6-8 lb'ers. I'm hoping to grow some 10+ lb'ers.

I have some bluegill where my back yard meets the pond so I thought I would set up a feeder there. I dont have a lot of money to invest in a feeder and since I only own part of the shoreline, I wont be able to put out more than 1 feeder.

Do you guys have any recommendations? If you need more info just let me know. Thanks! smile

Most guys on this site swear by Texas Hunter feeders, which probably are a very good quality feeder. I've had good sucess with a $50 Moultrie game feeder that I have hanging off a dock. Moultrie makes a directional feeder for about $60 also.

Moultrie Feeders
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: What type of fish feeder do I need? - 03/28/12 10:49 PM
I have the directional feeder and will be putting it up again soon, this will be the 3rd year I have had it. Now my pond is small so it works for me, and since I could not keep an eye on a nice feeder I went with this one.

I have 2 other small ponds I would like to feed as well put the are out in the open, and there is an oil lease on the land so many people are in and out all day so not sure I want to gamble with that or not, but may take a chance.

Thanks
Posted By: jmed999 Re: What type of fish feeder do I need? - 03/29/12 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
I have the directional feeder and will be putting it up again soon, this will be the 3rd year I have had it. Now my pond is small so it works for me, and since I could not keep an eye on a nice feeder I went with this one.

When you say, "this one" which one do you mean? Did you mean to provide a link? Thanks!
Posted By: RC51 Re: What type of fish feeder do I need? - 03/29/12 10:39 PM
I am using a Remington deer feeder 30 gallon. It has 4 time settings of up to 7 seconds on each setting. Course it does throw feed in a 360 so I just took a sturdy piece of plastic and super glued it to the back side so it can't throw it backwards. I was worried it may not work on smaller feed but with the ability to adjust the motor part up and down towards the cone bottom it works just fine. On high I am throwing AM 600 food anywhere from 4 to 8 feet. 85 bucks walmart. Now if you can get a Texas Hunter as your pocket book is not an issue then they ARE SWEET!!! Top of the line for sure! Wish I could have one! smile

Good Luck,
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: What type of fish feeder do I need? - 03/30/12 06:38 PM
Originally Posted By: jmed999
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO

When you say, "this one" which one do you mean? Did you mean to provide a link? Thanks!

I did not provide a link as not sure it was appropriate to do so. They only have 2 directional feeders one is a 6.5 gallon and the other a 30 gallon. I have the 6.5 gallon. Plan to put it back up tomorrow.
Posted By: jludwig Re: What type of fish feeder do I need? - 03/30/12 07:13 PM
Texas Hunter fish feeder if you can afford it. Timer has up to 9 feeding times and there is an optional solar charger for a battery.

Contact GregGrimes on here with a private message and he will help you out.

Texas Hunter Fish Feeders
Posted By: jmed999 Re: What type of fish feeder do I need? - 04/02/12 05:30 PM
Those Texas Hunter feeders look very nice but no way I can spend that kinda dough on one.
© Pond Boss Forum