Pond Boss
Posted By: Randy SE OHIO Fishfeeding on a budget - 04/27/11 04:23 PM
Is there anything out there safe/helpful that could be fed to Bluegill/Bass/Catfish. I'm a real novice at all this and I am just learning pond management as I go. I've been feeding some bread (white bread) to the fish. Fish food seems expensive. Maybe it's worth the extra money. I've heard pay lakes feed dog food. Any truth to that?
Posted By: Randy SE OHIO Re: Fishfeeding on a budget - 04/27/11 04:25 PM
Is there anything out there safe/helpful that could be fed to Bluegill/Bass/Catfish. I'm a real novice at all this and I am just learning pond management as I go. I've been feeding some bread (white bread) to the fish. Fish food seems expensive. Maybe it's worth the extra money. I've heard pay lakes feed dog food. Any truth to that?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishfeeding on a budget - 04/27/11 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Randy SE OHIO

Hi Randy,

Bluegill and catfish will readily take to commercial pelleted foods. What kind of Bass are you referring too? Largemouth CAN learn to feed on it on their own, but most folks feel it may be easier to buy fish already feed-trained.

As far as the food being expensive, yes it is. But, I am absolutely convinced of it's worth, having seen the results first-hand. How big is your body of water? How many fish are in it? How old is the pond? All of these things, (and any more I've forgotten),can contribute or detract from your bottom line $$$$.

A lot of farm stores sell a store brand of catfish food, most folks in my area feed this. I feel that while this food surely helps to grow larger fish, the protein content, and the source of the protein, can be very important. I am sold on Purina Aquamax 500 for my Bluegill. It's protein content is 40%. There is some debate that perhaps Bluegill don't require this high an amount, and that the less expensive Purina Game fish Chow would work well also.
At any rate, I don't think I would settle for less than 36% protein, and I would want the source of that protein to be FISH based.
Remember also, that feeding, while important, is only part of the equation. A pond's dynamics can change, and not always for the better, one you begin a feeding program. A lot of variables come into play here.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fishfeeding on a budget - 04/28/11 01:40 AM
Dog food is about 1/2 the protein of Aquamax carnivore fish diets or trout foods. Dogs are mammals and BG and LMB are fish two completely different animals requiring different diets. If you want to grow big healthy fish then feed a good quality fish food if you don't really care much about the growth of the fish and just for fun then feed bread or dog food.
Posted By: Randy SE OHIO Re: Fishfeeding on a budget - 04/28/11 01:53 PM
Thank you...that answers my question.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishfeeding on a budget - 04/28/11 02:48 PM
Dog food and bread may be fun but not sure it does any good with BG or LMB. May even harm them. They don't use carbs much and that is what those contain. Not good for gamefish livers. They need protein and the right kind - fish meal. May get some limited use from dog food but blood/bone meal is not as good and the extra carbs are bad for BG/LMB. Cheap catfish food would be better but real fish food like GFC or AM even in limited amounts is better.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishfeeding on a budget - 06/08/11 03:24 PM
Around here GFC is just as cheap as the Catfish food, heck some places have even pulled the catfish food and just keep GFC in stock, or at least where I get mine.

My fish like GFC and seem to be growing but I plan to change myself this year to see what happens. Just have to decide on AM500 or AM600 and let them know by tomorrow so they can order it.
© Pond Boss Forum