Pond Boss
Posted By: TMK A new pond in a old county drain system - 11/27/07 11:07 PM
So here is my concern: The County will allow me to construct my new pond (1.3 acre) in a way that interrupts an old underground drain system, (1932), in fact they like the idea because they say it will act like a settling pond and help keep the downstream portion of the system clean. However, what to do with the muddy water which will have to be pumped out during the construction period? Mostly suspended blue clay. This can not be pumped into the county drain or it will cause a lot of buildup and potentially clog the system. Has anyone ever faced this kind of problem? Looking for some suggestions. In general, I wonder where do contractors pump the muddy water during any pond construction. There seems to be a lot of rules about sediment flow hazards these days.

Click on photos to enlarge.

More Photos; Just starting and getting ready for next summer.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/tmikeltn/?action=view¤t=pondpreperation11-25-07.jpg
Posted By: face72 Re: A new pond in a old county drain system - 01/09/08 08:58 PM
Are you taking it out with at trash pump? Go to agridrain.com I think they have one, or just google a search for the "dirtbag". Its basicly a giant pouch made of filter fabric. It filters all the glay out of the water that you discharge with the trash pump. Its..kind of like a reverse tea bag. The bag will fill with the sediment...while the clean water bleeds out the bag. To add even more insurance....lay the bag on top of hay bales. The water will bleed out of the bag...out, through the hay bales...and fitler it even more. The county should be fine with it.
Posted By: TMK Re: A new pond in a old county drain system - 01/16/08 04:34 AM
Thanks for the tip Face.

I found a "Dirtbag" that is 12.5' by 15'. I'll call the manufacture to see if it is reusable and how much volume it can handle.

Mike
© Pond Boss Forum