Pond Boss
Posted By: Bryce Arizona High Country Pond - 08/12/04 05:57 PM
I'm in the process of creating a 1+ acre pond on the Mogollon Rim AZ @ 7800' elevation. I have surface water rights and recieve good snow melt run off. Additionally I have two wells for maintance during dry weather. Currently the future pond averages 3' to 4' of depth with some small 8' to 10' holes. What would be a optium target dept? How Deep should I dig pro's & cons? Best Guess is that I'll stock trout and bass however I'm open to suggestion. The pond is currently dry has never been filled and now is the time to dig deeper and I would love to work with the best consultant I can hire.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Arizona High Country Pond - 08/13/04 01:18 AM
7800 ft huh. I can't help much but one thing comes to mind. It needs to be deep enough to provide a warm water refuge during winter iceover. Depending on latitude & elavation how deep it should be. But certainly over 10' at that elavation.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Arizona High Country Pond - 08/13/04 10:04 AM
Ric is right. Thats cold country. I've frozen my privates off several times while hunting your corner of Gods country. Your depth needs should be the same as other cold country ponds. Read a lot of the stuff here from those who post where it snows regarding stocking, aeration, etc. Bill Cody, Scott Trava and Dave Willis come immediately to mind as Professionals from cold country.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Arizona High Country Pond - 08/13/04 08:45 PM
Well, Bryce, since Dave mentioned my name, I better at least try. :-)

Actually, I'm a little uncomfortable giving advice when I have not been to your area. So, I'll ask a few questions first.

I guess my biggest concern is winter, and the likelihood for winterkill. How thick will your ice typically get, and how long does the ice cover usually last? The thicker the ice, the more snow on the ice, and the longer the ice cover, then the deeper you will want your pond for dissolved oxygen reserve.

What about summer water temperatures? Does the pond warm up to 70 F or more on the surface? If so, you might want it deeper to let it thermally stratify and get a cool water refuge.

Why trout and bass?? I'm picturing you being up in gorgeous, rocky, rough terrain with only a few trees. Is it coldwater country for trout, or do you get pretty warm, and the pond should instead be managed for warmwater fishes??

I know the "southern boys" like shallow ponds to keep them as productive as possible. However, when you live in the north country, depth is good, not bad! If your elevation creates a long winter, then deeper will be important for you as well. I just don't know much about rim country in AZ.

Dave
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Arizona High Country Pond - 08/22/04 03:38 AM
Another important factor to consider is his well. How much water does it produce, and what temperature is the water coming out of the ground. That will influence fish management decisions.
© Pond Boss Forum