Pond Boss
Posted By: Matt Turney Shape, Size, and Depth - 12/07/02 07:11 PM
I want to build a pond for fishing as I mentioned in my previous post, I want to put bass, perch, and catfish in this pond. I live in south west Texas and was wondering what the pond design should be like. Is there any recomendations or does it matter.

Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Nick Smith Re: Shape, Size, and Depth - 12/10/02 12:50 AM
Pond shape does not matter as much as depth, soil, cover added and stocking.

Read as much as you can of the posts here to learn. Order pondboss magazine, order the pondboss books. The more you learn the better pond you will have.

Your plans to stock have some problems. Do NOT stock perch. Unless you are referring to bluegill. Also consider redears. They eat snails and you don't want snails because they lead to parasites in your fish. Stock forage fish, bluegill, redear, and fathead minnows first. Give them a year or so to multiply without predators. THen add your catfish and bass. That way, they will have plenty to feed on.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Shape, Size, and Depth - 12/11/02 08:28 PM
Pond design should be based on lay of the land. Step one, ask the NRCS to come out and survey your elevations. They can provide topographical maps and aerial photos, also. Finding the best area to build a dam may be different that building it where you want it. After the best site is picked, have the dam site staked out, using wooden surveyor stakes. Then, using surveyor's flags, outline the proposed water line. See how large your pond will be. Then, it's time to start talking to earthmovers.
One of my favorite phrases comes into play, here. "Remember, you will build a dam, but you will also create a lake." Those are two different subjects. The dam is a water management tool, a lake is a habitat.
© Pond Boss Forum