Pond Boss
Posted By: TXAGGIES Land in SE Oklahoma - 11/07/02 08:34 PM
I am considering buying land in the next year or so in Southeastern Oklahoma (Atoka County area). I would like to have appox. a 1-2 acre pond built. What should I look for as far as land? The pond will be for exclusively for bass fishing.
Posted By: Editor, Mark McDonald Re: Land in SE Oklahoma - 11/08/02 12:26 AM
This set of guidelines comes from our man Bob Lusk, a fisheries biologist who designs, builds and manages fishing ponds:

"I dream of having my own pond, so what should I look for in a property?" Bob Lusk of Texoma Hatchery, a veteran fisheries biologist based in Whitesboro, designs, builds and manages lakes.
When asked, Lusk answers that question with a series of questions of his own:
* How close to home does your pond site need to be?
* What purpose will the pond serve? Will it be a swimming hole for the grandkids? A prime fishing hole? Want to irrigate crops and support livestock, or provide water strictly for wildlife?
* What services and amenities can you expect from the local community? Fire protection, grocery stores, shopping, electricity, drinking water?
* Planning a lawn or garden? How will you water it?
* To maintain water levels during dry spells, does your county have restrictions on pumping ground water?
* Do the native soils hold water?
* Can you afford to meet your goals?
"As you hunt, don’t feel pressured by a self-induced, artificial deadline,” Lusk said. “Keep looking until you find the right place. It’s out there."
-- Mark McDonald, editor
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Land in SE Oklahoma - 11/08/02 10:22 PM
Heed what Mark wrote. Shop, and think things through.
Watershed size, annual rainfall, taxes, soil types, neighbors, native plants, forest vs. pasture.
These are considerations before buying property.
Regarding a pond, look at topo maps, aerial photos, and zero in on the best sites. Also, talk to the local NRCS people, especially once you find a promising tract. They can furnish maps and help you decide on a pond site.
© Pond Boss Forum