Pond Boss
Posted By: Zack Mckenzie Design - 09/05/19 02:24 AM
What’s the ideal design for a new pond? 1.5 acre surface area.
Posted By: RAH Re: Design - 09/05/19 11:43 AM
There are a lot a variables that go into designing a pond for a particular location and set of goals. I strongly recommend spending time understanding pond building, and developing the planting and stocking plan, as this will likely save you a lot of grief later. I was lucky to have hired a good builder for my first pond, but he retired and it took me 4 dirt movers to get the 2nd pond "stabilized". I dug my 3rd pond myself. Perhaps describe your building site and what you hope to achieve by building the pond (aesthetics, sport fishing, swimming, food, wildlife, etc.)? What are your priorities? That will help folks offer advice. Also, find an experienced pond builder if you can, rather than a dirt mover. I personally have learned a great deal on this forum and am very grateful to all the experts that freely give their time here.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Design - 09/05/19 12:16 PM
The land will somewhat dictate it.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Design - 09/05/19 02:07 PM
I will give you the best and constant answer "IT DEPENDS".
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Design - 09/06/19 12:50 AM
Mike Otto, one of the owners of this site, has been designing and building dams for over 40 years. He has written a book called Just Add Water. It’s all about designing and building impoundments. It’s for sale on the Pond Boss website. It would be the best starting place to answer questions that you (and I) don’t know enough to ask.

It’s the cheapest and best place I know of to go to. I just wish it had been around when mine was built,
Posted By: ewest Re: Design - 09/06/19 03:32 PM
Call Mike as initial design is a lot more than just how to build it !!!
Posted By: Zack Mckenzie Re: Design - 09/22/19 06:35 PM
Wish I could figure out how to get pics to post. Finished up and adding structure
Posted By: RStringer Re: Design - 09/22/19 11:50 PM
Here's the best way I have been told about. Screen shot ur picture. Under the post click (switch to full reply screen) the click chose file ( got find it in ur phone under images the add file the done adding files. Then just submit. Took me a couple mistakes but just play with it if I can do it believe me you can.
© Pond Boss Forum