Pond Boss
Posted By: Adam K Need pond built in SE michgan - 04/06/19 12:09 AM
Not sure if this is the place to post this, or if its allowed. If not feel free to delete or move post.

I'm building a home in SE MI( Monroe county) I need the dirt to raise grade around the house that's beign built since the water table is 2-3 feet. If anyone knows, or is a reputable contractor, contact me and we can talk about coming out for a bid. Thanks

Adam.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Need pond built in SE michgan - 04/06/19 12:59 AM
Be aware that many dirt contractors you hire for creating fill dirt will just dig hole. You build a pond and dig a hole. Be sure you read through this very good pond building thread noted in the link. Soil and basin proper compaction is critical for building a minimal leakage pond. There are many many posts here from disappointed owners with improperly build leaky ponds. Do it right the first time because fixing a leaky pond can cost as much as it did to build it.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92487#Post92487
Posted By: Adam K Re: Need pond built in SE michgan - 04/06/19 02:14 AM
Thanks bill, appreciate the link. Your thoughts are similar to mine, that’s why I’m kinda hoping for a pond specific guy and not just a normal excavator
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Need pond built in SE michgan - 04/06/19 09:05 AM
Fixing a leaky pond means redoing the whole thing. When mine was built, many years ago, I didn't know anything about pond building and neither did the dozer guy. He pushed a bunch of dirt to fill in a ravine. It looks good but for many years, has leaked and run under the dam. Due to neighbors, I can't tear it out and repair or redo it.

Buy Mike Otto's book Just Add Water,and educate yourself on all the factors, like core trench(keyway). Education is a lot cheaper than 10 gallons of diesel.
Posted By: Adam K Re: Need pond built in SE michgan - 06/24/19 07:51 AM
Hey all, quick update / request. Turns out the township requires a site plan when putting a pond in and I ended up hiring a civil engineer to complete it for me. Here is the site plan we have that will show the pond and what were doing with all the dirt. Any thoughts? Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/3zctfPC
© Pond Boss Forum