Pond Boss
Hello, I'm at the early stages of planning a pond or two on my place. One question I have, is there a better time of year to do the construction ? My place is in Palo Pinto County Texas. About 100 miles west of Dallas. Thanks
Hello Rusty:

I prefer building during the dryer season - untimely rains can impact pond construction significantly, and a dry pond allows for erosion control to be implemented and structure to be placed. Much easier doing that when not underwater.
And yet, the clay/loam has to have enough moisture to pack. That’s not always the case in parts of Texas. Palo Pinto can be on the dry side in the summer.

Test the soil(s) by compressing it into ball. Toss it against the side of your pickup. If it holds together ok, crank the dozer
We really cannot say whether it is a good time today or not due to weather changes but for construction it is best to do it during dry time.
Almost a year later and the dozer just completed my new 1/2 acre pond. It goes with the 1/4 acre pond that was already on the property. I found a company "Turner seed" here in Texas that has a grass mix called "Tank Dam Mix". I'm going to try putting this out this week, calling for some rain this weekend. I already have plans to add 2 or 3, 1/8 to 1/4 acre ponds around and at the bottom of a ridge on the place. It will depend on what NCRS says abound the watershed.
Rusty - My tank is near Eastland and we bought Turner Seed's Tank Dam Mix a year ago this week when our 1.5ac tank was completed. The rain did not fall and almost zero grasses made it. Lots of native weeds though. I wish you luck! We need rain.
© Pond Boss Forum