Pond Boss
Posted By: catfishhoward South Georgia/North Florida pond - 06/05/18 07:14 PM
Is it possible to drill a well to feed a newly built pond? If so.

where does the new runoff go? Do I have to look for property with a creek or river for the runoff?

Could your pond be colder than other ponds because of the well water temp? So I might be able to raise cold water fish like rainbow trout?

If I find water can the well ever run dry or stop certain times of the year?

[img:center]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QAVsSACaa0hkb44tRXWhGR23B1B4DmNU[/img]
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: South Georgia/North Florida pond - 06/05/18 07:57 PM
Ponds are filled and/or fed with wells on good occasion. If you set the well pump up on a float switch, the pond will not overflow due to over-running the pump. If you want to create a cool water habitat, that's a different animal. A larger well and large pumps will be needed and you will have to have somewhere for the overflow to go besides your neighbors yard, lol.

Wells can certainly be finicky and dry up on you or not supply enough flow for your liking.

The fisheries that I have been to used wells OR had natural high flow springs feeding a long series of ponds. Lots and lots of water. One of the springs produces up to 1000 gallons a minute. They have 200 ponds that make up 400 surface acres. Pretty cool to see!
Posted By: robjones Re: South Georgia/North Florida pond - 11/02/18 02:22 AM
It will be best to look for guys who really dig wells because they know how to find underground water sources.
© Pond Boss Forum