Pond Boss
Posted By: Johnson My new pond - 04/12/18 11:27 PM
Hello, longtime lurker here. I'll give a little background to start. A few years ago I made a deal to buy a piece of property that I thought had a great spot for a pond. The deal took years to go through and I finally closed on it last summer. I had a guy take a look at the spot to give me an estimate last fall. He never got back to me.
Posted By: Johnson Re: My new pond - 04/12/18 11:33 PM
This winter I had another guy take a look and he did get back to me. He started the pond yesterday afternoon. This morning he called me up and said we had a bit of a curve ball. He hit solid rock about 5 feet down. So the plan now is to dig the total surface area of the pond down as far as we can then come back this summer with a hammer to take the rock out down to a better depth. I'm kind of disappointed we can't finish now but he assured me it will get done and will be awesome.
Posted By: Johnson Re: My new pond - 04/12/18 11:46 PM
Here's a pic

Attached picture t1rsz_img_20180412_110923101.jpg
Posted By: Johnson Re: My new pond - 04/12/18 11:53 PM
Another

Attached picture rsz_img_20180412_171401997.jpg
Posted By: Dam'dWaters Re: My new pond - 04/13/18 01:53 PM
Welcome to the forum. Great info from some very knowledgable folks will be coming your way on your project.

I'm not a builder myself, but I don't think you'll get many recommendations to start disturbing a lot of rock to build your pond. Where there's rock....there's greater possibilities for leaks. Where there's fractured bedrock (kinda sounds like what you've described) the chances increase many times over. If possible, have your builder wait for some input from the builders here at pond boss.

I don't have a real deep pond because we stumbled across fragments of rock at about 8 ft and weren't sure what we'd find if we kept going. I have a shallow pond (4'-9') that doesn't leak which I can live with. What I couldn't live with is a deeper pond that does leak.

Best of luck. Keep the build pics coming.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: My new pond - 04/14/18 01:46 AM
Hope it works out for you
Posted By: robjones Re: My new pond - 11/02/18 02:34 AM
Welcome to the surface lurker!

Better if all is sorted out before you start your project.
© Pond Boss Forum