Pond Boss
I just closed on a 10 acre property that has a sand pit I hope I can convert into a pond. I think the previous owner was trying to build a pond and gave up. Its about .25 acres in surface size, 15 foot deep in the lowest part, 80W x 150L foot irregular shape.

The problem I am worried about is the soil is 78% sand, 20% silt, and 2% clay. There is a little water in the bottom but is receding as it has been dry here. Also it looks like it has never been within 8 foot of the steep banked end. (It tapers from shallow to deep).

Any ideas from you pros? I am thinking clay but not sure what type I can use and clay% required.

Thanks
David
Here are some pictures to give you a better idea.

Thanks

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater[/img]
Posted By: RAH Re: Just bought 10 Acres with a sand pit. WTD? - 01/23/18 07:28 PM
If you want water in it, some type of liner is needed. Clay is great if you have enough close by or the cost is otherwise manageable. Otherwise, some type of synthetic-material liner will likely be required. Can't access pics at your link to see if some alternative use of the hole comes to mind. Says "content is not available right now".
There are some companies that sell clay but I am not sure what percent it is. I think it is red clay that is typically used on dirt roads, (Georgia Clay). I'm fine with that as long as it will work and not kill fish from high iron oxide in the clay.

I might have to fix the pictures when I get home, at work Facebook was my only option.
The water level in sandpits without a liner will follow the rise and fall of the water table, if there is a river nearby it will rise and fall with the river level. If you do add a liner do you have enough drainage area keep it full with rain water, is pumping water an option? If you don't want to use a liner can you dig the current pit deeper to allow a cushion for when the water table is low?
© Pond Boss Forum