Pond Boss
Posted By: pdubdo small catch-pond in stream - 04/11/17 05:46 PM
What is the right way to do this?
I've got a 20 foot wide, limestone bottom creek that flows 2-4 inches deep year around...except for about an hour after a bad storm when it's 6 feet deep and sweeps trees down the stream. i don't know how deep the limestone goes, so I'm hesitant to drill into it. I would love to have a small 2-4 ft deep pool that might hold some fish occasionally and be a good place to wade into and cool off. Is there a "right" way to do this to minimize silting?
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: small catch-pond in stream - 04/11/17 06:00 PM
Make a plunge pool by anchoring a large log on the bottom and into the banks on each side, and make it a little lower in the center. It will be self cleaning. The pool will form downstream from the log.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: small catch-pond in stream - 04/11/17 07:52 PM
There is a great document posted by RAH on the linked thread that should get you started...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post463216
Posted By: Bill D. Re: small catch-pond in stream - 04/12/17 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: John F
Make a plunge pool by anchoring a large log on the bottom and into the banks on each side, and make it a little lower in the center. It will be self cleaning. The pool will form downstream from the log.

Cool idea John. Will it work in a stream with a hard limestone bottom?
Posted By: RAH Re: small catch-pond in stream - 04/12/17 07:53 PM
If the bottom is solid stone, I think you will not live to see water dig a hole in it.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: small catch-pond in stream - 04/12/17 09:18 PM
This pdf might provide some ideas for you
http://www.water.rutgers.edu/Educational...Enhancement.pdf
Posted By: Bill D. Re: small catch-pond in stream - 04/12/17 11:34 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH
If the bottom is solid stone, I think you will not live to see water dig a hole in it.

That was my thought as well but thought I might be missing something.

I really like the idea under the right conditions. I have seen nature construct plunge ponds with downed trees in soft stream bottoms and make some dandy little fishing holes!
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: small catch-pond in stream - 04/13/17 01:12 AM
Every little stream in this area usually has a plunge pool on the downstream side of a highway crossing. Those bridges are usually concrete box culverts, single or double, in this area. Those pools are a haven for fish in times of low flow.
© Pond Boss Forum