Pond Boss
Posted By: kurtwest Turning a swamp into a pond. - 03/20/15 07:56 PM
I have a low spot on my property maybe 3 or 4 acres in size that is like a swamp. It gets water from a pond over flow from my neighbor and a creek the winds in and out of my neighbors property and mine. Would it be feasible to make a pond out of this? I am sure there is more info you all will want me to provide so please ask. I am unsure what I need to tell you. I do have a video of the area as well as a Google Earth picture. The video is recent and we have had on and off rain for 4 weeks. It is always wet but not as wet all the time as this video shows. My thoughts are this may always be too wet to get to to make a pond.

https://youtu.be/QxfOt4HqStc

Attached picture Swamp.JPG
Posted By: RAH Re: Turning a swamp into a pond. - 03/20/15 08:09 PM
Check out the local environmental laws on doing what you want to do before starting any work or it could turn out very very costly.
Posted By: kurtwest Re: Turning a swamp into a pond. - 03/20/15 08:12 PM
10-4. I certainly picked up on that from reading on here and other sources on the web. My thought is it shouldn't be an issue considering my neighbor has 3 ponds in a row that drain into each other then finally drain into my property. I will check on that for sure.
Posted By: RAH Re: Turning a swamp into a pond. - 03/20/15 09:41 PM
Just want to save you some pain.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Turning a swamp into a pond. - 03/20/15 09:44 PM
Where is it?
Posted By: kurtwest Re: Turning a swamp into a pond. - 03/21/15 01:10 AM
Where is the land? Wood county Tx
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Turning a swamp into a pond. - 03/21/15 10:04 AM
There are a lot of guys here from that area who can advise you. It might be a better idea(if it ever stops raining there) to dig a separate pond and drain that stuff into it. It would be a challenge to control the fish population with the creek running into it.

The drone is neat. Wish I could justify one.
Posted By: Mike Otto Re: Turning a swamp into a pond. - 03/21/15 12:36 PM
Great idea, A good use of the land, look at making it good for water fowl also it sounds like a natural for that.
These kind of projects are always fun.
© Pond Boss Forum