Pond Boss
Posted By: DrLebel Distance from Pond Edge to House - 04/26/12 02:06 PM
Working on a site plan and pond design with Mike Otto. What's yall opinion of a good distance from the back of the house to the pond. I would like to be close enough to really enjoy it from the back deck but also be able to hold a conversation at night over the frogs, bugs, and such. My range is 60- 100 ft. Thanks
Posted By: Schmidts_Pond Re: Distance from Pond Edge to House - 04/26/12 02:25 PM
My distance from my back deck to pond edge is 25-30'. Frogs are loud but not too bad and bugs aren't bad so far. It's our first year in the house though, so that may change as summer comes on.
Posted By: vamaz Re: Distance from Pond Edge to House - 04/26/12 06:10 PM
Mine's about 125' from the deck. Close enough to watch all the action but far enough that the wildlife is still pretty comfortable. We routinely watch the deer, ducks, the fish feeding, and lately a kingfisher. The deer will leave if there is too much activity on the deck, though.

And unfortunately, 125' suites the geese, too, but we've got the dog trained to recognize the word "geese". Great fun for him!

The only one who complains about the frogs is my 10 yr old when she's trying to sleep, but the wife and I think it sounds great!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Distance from Pond Edge to House - 04/26/12 11:49 PM
Will the house have a basement, crawl space, or slab?
Posted By: Frozengator Re: Distance from Pond Edge to House - 04/27/12 06:14 AM
Frogs are loud anyways, I have about 45yards to pond from the back of my house (which is the front) and I hear the frogs a lot of the time. Just depends on if windows are open or not. And yes the ponds in the front of my yard but the house is reversed. LOL
Posted By: Bernie H. Re: Distance from Pond Edge to House - 05/01/12 02:11 AM
If the surrounding land is as hilly as mine,I'd go with 100 feet. The view will be better.
Posted By: drumz2129 Re: Distance from Pond Edge to House - 05/03/12 02:51 PM
I went with 100' to the pond (in front yard) from our carport which is attached to the front of the house. Our land is fairly flat, only varying 4-5'. The house is on a slab and sits about 3' above the full level.
Posted By: gallop Re: Distance from Pond Edge to House - 05/03/12 03:01 PM
Im planning on ~ 100, but my lot is wooded. I should be able to see the pond, but still give the wildlife some privacy.
© Pond Boss Forum