Pond Boss
Posted By: Ack Pond proximity to pool and patio? - 12/05/10 08:01 PM
I'm building a small 1/3 - 1/2 acre pond on our land. The ideal spot for it is very close to our swimming pool and the patio where we sit outside pretty much all summer. The edge of the pond would be about 150' away from the edge of the patio, with an open hay field between them.

There is another spot around 700' away from the pool that would work too, but it gets a little less runoff and is closer to the road. I'd rather build closer to the pool, but I'm worried about the pond being a nuisance if it's so close to the pool. I'm specifically worried about bugs, smells, and noises from frogs, etc. If the pond adversely affects the use of the pool my wife isn't going to be happy!

Should I go ahead and build the pond near the pool, or would I be better off putting more distance between them?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond proximity to pool and patio? - 12/06/10 03:46 AM
Well, the fish eat the bugs, especially mosquito larvae so that shouldn't be a problem. BTW, I'm assuming there will be fish.

I don't notice smells or odors from ponds unless they become a problem pond of some sort.

Yeah, frogs that the fish don't get sometimes make a little noise. However, so do locusts cars from the road, coyotes, and just about everything else.

No way you or I are going to to absolutely assure your wife that nature doesn't occasionally have some side effects.
Posted By: Bossone Re: Pond proximity to pool and patio? - 12/06/10 04:48 AM
I built a pond this year that is close to 100ft away from our pool and patio. It is to soon to know if there will adverse effect from having it so close, but there are already bugs, locusts, etc around so I don't see it as big deal.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Pond proximity to pool and patio? - 12/06/10 05:09 AM
Build it!!! Only problem that I can see is an occasional turtle or frog showing up for a dip. Dip nets can take care of those grin
Posted By: andrew davis Re: Pond proximity to pool and patio? - 12/06/10 05:16 AM
Bugs likely to be round because of a pond... dragonflies, damsel flies, pondskaters, whirlygig beetles mopping up any winged critters they can find

Scents, Lotus, iris, waterlilies, lizards tail, umpteen subtle herb scents mingling in a tantalising way

Noises, well, you just wait for the lilting tones of the Southern Toad, the Peepers fluted whistle, the tiny whittering of the bats as they skim the water for a sip...

Don't be too surprised if you want to spend more time poking, peering, sniffing at the pond, rather than the sterile swimming pool

Regards, andy
Posted By: Ack Re: Pond proximity to pool and patio? - 12/06/10 03:01 PM
Thanks, everyone!
You will still here frogs at 700' trust me. Probably here them at a 1/4 mile or more.
© Pond Boss Forum