Pond Boss
Posted By: BillG Site selection - 08/19/10 06:16 PM
The attached pic shows 35 acres Topo. I'm hoping to build a pond somewhere in the right side of the map, but on the left of the creek. The high point of the property is a huge clearing, the back is all wooded, the rest is lightly wooded.
There's a fairly decently slop from that clearing down towards the creek, but it does flatten out a bit before you get to the creek. Any suggestions on the best placement for something between 1 and 3 acres?

Description: Topo map.
Attached picture topo.png

Description: Satellite view
Attached picture Capture.PNG
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Site selection - 08/20/10 03:05 PM
Bump for expert feedback.
Posted By: ewest Re: Site selection - 08/20/10 06:14 PM
How is the soil ? Clay content?
Posted By: BillG Re: Site selection - 08/20/10 08:21 PM
I haven't dug a test hole yet, but based on the soil in the surrounding community from digging basements, footings, putting in fence, etc., everything is clay around here.
Once you get past the first 6-12 inches clay clay clay.
Posted By: BillG Re: Site selection - 08/24/10 03:00 PM
Here's a new idea. See attached pic #1. In this situation the pond ends up on the top of the clearing, and is about 1 3/4 acre. If there's not enough runoff to fill it, i always have the option of diverting or, pumping from the creek that's right by this location.
I think i'd like it better if i could keep more of the clearing open, but I'm not sure how feasible building a dam on the slope would be... I think the dam would have to be too high. This option is in the second attachment. and is about 2.25 acres
Thoughts?

Description: Possible location
Attached picture Location.PNG

Description: Option 2 on a big slope.
Attached picture option2location.png
Posted By: esshup Re: Site selection - 08/24/10 04:07 PM
Personally, I'd pick the lowest point of property possible to take advantage of any runoff. Energy is only going to get more and more expensive. I'd try to take advantage of every opportunity that Mother Nature offers you with help in filling and keeping the pond full of water.
Posted By: BillG Re: Site selection - 08/24/10 07:14 PM
Yes, I agree that makes the most sense if possible. But I guess that's part of my question. I don't know how big of a slope is too big to be able to build the pond down the hill further.
© Pond Boss Forum