Pond Boss
Posted By: Justin Ringler Best way to get a loan for land - 04/22/06 04:32 PM
My Dad and I are scouting out the perfect place for a cabin and a large pond. The property we are interested is 134 Acres with a small cabin.
Although my Dad has excellent credit, assets and a large income, the first bank turned him down because the bank is not interested in financing a property with that much land.

Does anyone have any advice with how to get a loan for a property that is primarily land?
Posted By: ewest Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 04/22/06 09:09 PM
Check this site.

http://www.agfirst.com/SYSTEM.HTM
Posted By: RobA Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 04/23/06 02:10 AM
I agree with ewest. I have used AgFirst in the past to finance a land purchase. They are the ones to call.
Posted By: Bill Duggan Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 04/23/06 03:47 PM
Best way is to finance something else the bank wants such as a house and use the procedes to buy the land. The bank does not care they are just concerned with the whats backing the loan
Posted By: ealong59 Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 04/24/06 01:03 AM
You have to own a home to do that, though! It's harder to buy land first, then build.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 04/24/06 01:24 AM
It is my PERSONAL experience that a Mortgage company will get intersted if you put about 25% down.
Posted By: leeinmemphis Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 04/27/06 06:23 PM
The local farm credit bureau is your friend........I just bought a farm through them and it was totally painless.
Posted By: ChuckC Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 04/28/06 01:26 PM
Parents used Greenstone Farm Credit Services. Doesn't look like they service New York, but you can visit their website to get ideas on different products.

Chuck
Posted By: IA Daughter Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 05/03/06 11:22 PM
Hi Justin,
My Dad helped me find 40 acres on which to build a pond and possible home later. I put 30% down, and spread the remainder over 4 large annual payments direct to the seller at 6% interest. Contract is written fair but mainly in seller's favor; if I reneg, property all goes back to him. Could you find any situations like that?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 05/04/06 02:29 AM
IAD:

That's what we call a "Land Contract," they are not uncommon around here where bank financing is difficult for one reason or another. I have heard of Land Contracts with payoff periods as long as 30 years.
Posted By: ewest Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 05/04/06 02:50 AM
Just another form of seller financing vs. using a loan from a bank or farm credit agency. Several methods of seller financing -- installment land sales contract , deed with a vendors lien retained, or deed with a mortgage or Deed of Trust back to seller.
Posted By: ashannon Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 06/20/06 06:43 PM
Here are some questions answered:
http://www.landsoftexas.com/texas/TXlandfinancing.cfm
Posted By: poland_jack Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 06/22/06 12:08 AM
Capital Farm Credit - Simple
Posted By: MudCat Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 06/30/06 07:37 PM
Captital Farm Credit:
979-775-0404
or
Texas Ag Finance:
361-387-3534

They will want 15 to 20% down, depending on how high the buyer's credit score is.
Posted By: Odetoothello Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 08/24/06 04:20 AM
Foremost, I am very appreciative of the information, sharing, and open communication on this site. I recently purchased a lot of almost 7 acres, and in time I would like to construct a pond. If anybody can recommend a contractor in the Houston/Montgomery County area I would appreciate the information. In an attempt to contribute to this great site, I want to share some financing information that hopefully could be valuable to someone. After multiple phone calls to lenders, I discovered the best competitive rates at the Houston Federal Credit Union and WoodForest Bank. Both banks serve the Texas, Montgomery County location.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 08/24/06 10:48 AM
Get in touch with the NRCS. They have a list of dozer operators. Check references very, very carefully.
Posted By: boomer2 Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 08/24/06 04:25 PM
I purchase my rural land through http://www.alabamalandbank.com/. The Federal Land Bank Association of North Alabama mainly supports small farmers, rural land owners, ranch homes, and loans for timber land.

You may want to check if your state has a Federal Land Bank. They do not require PMI but do require a 15% deposit at closing.
Posted By: Jersey Re: Best way to get a loan for land - 08/26/06 01:39 AM
Talk to the locally owned bank.
© Pond Boss Forum