Pond Boss
Well here we go, starting construction next week. The site is located in South Louisiana on a 6.5acr tract. I have an experienced contractor with great references lined up. Planning to dig 1.5 acre with varying depths from 2-12 feet. Receives about 5-6 acres of watershed, which is much more than most in this area. We get lots of rain and this property drops about 4 feet to the pond. I plan too add a "levee" on the low side to maintain a level bank. I'm really excited about this new project, but I'm very green. I've been reading alot, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh..... This will be developed as a private fishing pond. Goal is to stock bluegill next spring and Florida Bass the following spring. Going to try to manage this primarily for Bass fishing (and of course perch jerking for the kiddos) with a peninsula green for a short par 3 for kicks smile
Welcome! It sounds like a neat project.

Read all you can about structure and cover in the archives. It's a LOT easier to build it and place it without water in the pond.

May I recommend that you take a look at the first "sticky" in this sub-forum, JHAP did a wonderful job when he penned it. It has a lot of information in it for people that are new to the site.

Stick around and tell us more about your project!
Thanks Essup.

BigCountryx, welcome to Pond Boss. IMHO you should learn as much as you can about pond construction prior to letting the contractor begin. There is so much that goes into properly designing and constructing a pond.
Thanks guys, I've been lurking on here and thinking about this for a while, Ive got the book "Perfect Pond, Want One?" As well as all the info I can gather from LSU Ag center. I think I'm on the right track, but time will tell.
Off to a great start BigCountryx!

A good (and free) publication can be found in the archives (thanks to Theo for finding the link). USDA Agriculture Handbook # 590 "Ponds - Planning, Design, Construction"

Depending upon internet speed it can take a little bit to down load but it is a good reference to have.
Welcome to the show. You're doing the homework in advance. Most of us didn't.
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Welcome to the show. You're doing the homework in advance. Most of us didn't.

Ditto DD1. I thought I did, then found this place and realized that I didn't.
BigCountryX, What part of south La are you in? I am finishing up construction on a 1.5 acre pond right now. http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=216832#Post216832 What contractor do you have lined up?
© Pond Boss Forum