Pond Boss
Posted By: Katman 10 acre lake - 03/21/05 11:51 PM
I have a steep waterway on my land and am wanting to make a 10 acre lake. Only problem natural gas lines. I have talked to the gas company and they told me if I paid for getting them moved they would move them. $18000 to move them but its the only place to put it. Should I do it??
Posted By: shawneekots Re: 10 acre lake - 03/22/05 01:08 AM
Ouch! $18k is a pretty steep premium to pay. Is it possible to downsize the lake to avoid the gas lines? If so, then a 5 acre pond and a 4 acre pond, and a extra $18k might be a better deal. Dealing with public utilities is getting tough these days...a private contractor could do the work at a fraction of what the utility company would charge, but the utility companies won't allow the customer to re-locate or install the lines. They play with their own rules.
Posted By: shawneekots Re: 10 acre lake - 03/22/05 01:15 AM
Katman, I failed to ask if the gas company had a valid easement to traverse your property. Utility companies must record their easements, and failure to record and thereby give constructive notice to the public, might give you more negotiating leverage. Check your title evidence (Abstract of Title or Title Insurance Policy) and see what rights your gas company has.
Posted By: Katman Re: 10 acre lake - 03/23/05 09:50 AM
Well the gas company has presidence over me. Since their lines are all ready there.I am considering a smaller 7 acre lake. Then I can use that money to buy fish!!
© Pond Boss Forum