Pond Boss
Posted By: john22469 bentonite clay or liner - 12/28/04 07:05 PM
i'm in the process of building my pond "planning stage" i would like it to be 65 foot wide and 50 long and about 4 feet deep. its small but it is in the center of my circle driveway.my wife wants a rock waterfall.my question is should i use a clay liner or a eprm liner. i have a dug test holes and found no clay i have cap rock about 18" below surface. a liner would cost about 1,000. but then would have to filter where a clay liner would be more beneficial to the fish and require less filtration.also how do i determine the amount of clay to use. thanks
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: bentonite clay or liner - 12/28/04 09:30 PM
In a situation like that I would probably go with either EPDM or a PPL-24 Liner mainly due to the lack of a true watershed to keep the pond full. Also with your location I fugure you have a high sand content in your soil. My .4 acre pond is natural bottom and my Koi pond is with a liner and veggie filter feeding a water fall section. Also the liner would be easier to keep cleared of leaves and debris I use a 20 gallon shop vac and a long extension for mine. Just my 2 cents worth. PPL-24 is a little cheaper than EPDM. Take a look.

http://www.bendtarp.com/html/faq.html

Bob
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: bentonite clay or liner - 12/28/04 10:08 PM
Caution!

EPDM liners vary greatly in cost depending on the distributor. Don't purchase unless you've done your homework. I bought thousands of square feet and I saved a ton of money by carefully choosing my vendor.
© Pond Boss Forum