Pond Boss
Posted By: KansasPond Need Pond Advice - 11/15/04 10:03 PM
I have just been told by the gentleman building my pond that after his test dig, he can only build a pond about 6-7' deep because of hitting rock. The surface area would be appox. 1-1.5 acres fed by approximately 45 acres of run off. I'm in Kansas (just outside Kansas City) and don't know if this would be worth the estimated cost of 6-7K. If I decide to go ahead with the project, can you tell me what kind of issues I may have stocking and maintaining this pond?

I look forward to your input!
Posted By: lee Re: Need Pond Advice - 11/15/04 11:01 PM
not sure about your part of the country but my 5 acre lake is only 7'deep.i had to build a levee around 3/4 of my lake to get this deep,we hit sand at 4-5'so i put a levee around it to get 6-7'average.i would think that would be enough water in your part of the country to do what ever you wanted.also that is not alot of money to build a pond of that size for people in the south.i would love to have spent that amount to get a nice pond.go for it.
Posted By: lee Re: Need Pond Advice - 11/15/04 11:04 PM
fotgot to add,just dont build anything with shallow water around edges of pond.try to keep everything at least 3' if not deeper.
Posted By: KansasPond Re: Need Pond Advice - 11/16/04 01:56 AM
Thanks Lee. The minimum pond depth chart for my area calls for a minimum depth of 7-8 feet. Didn't kow how much difference that 1 foot would make. My builder has already said he would dig the banks nearly straight down to prevent the shallows.
Posted By: otto Re: Need Pond Advice - 11/17/04 11:29 PM
Kansas Pond
I also say go for it. The price is sure good. You may need to be careful of the rock if the rock is fractured it may need to be plated with some clay.

Otto
Posted By: KansasPond Re: Need Pond Advice - 11/18/04 12:04 AM
Thanks for your reply. I gave them the go ahead this afternoon. We'll see just how much rock we turn up.
© Pond Boss Forum