Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,116
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,562
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (bmo, Bill Cody, JoshMI, Sunil, 123, esshup, Sryously, FishinRod, Angler8689, Deancutler, John Fitzgerald, Fishingadventure), 1,223 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
catscratch, ewest, FishinRod, jludwig
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#565747 03/31/2024 5:32 PM
by tim k
tim k
I have a mature pond and I feed regularly. I have been catching some rather large BG. Should I cull some of these out of my pond?
Liked Replies
#566056 Apr 8th a 09:53 PM
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by J. E. Craig
Conundrum:

Spent about an hour fishing for BG with a goal of removing ALL 5-9" fish caught & all females greater than 5". I thought "This will be easy"
Caught 6 fish, all greater than 9". When I thought I had two females because of much lighter overall color & then checked the genital pore it was almost non-existent. You almost needed a magnifying glass to find it. I took it to be a male. The rest were clearly male.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthre...13300&Words=boy+girl&Search=true

I did see red nasty looking lesions on a couple of the fish. I did not remove them but will in the future.

I suspect, I will have difficulty catching fish in that 5-9" slot. What is the best way forward? From what I see on my Deeper Sonar most all of my BG are in a range, at the very high end of the slot or above. These large BG will decimate the Apr-Oct spawn.

Remove all BG caught?

If your LMB are 75% RW, don't remove ANY bluegulls and remove a bunch of bass, I mean a bunch. Take out between 30 and 40 pounds of them per surface acre this year. Of all sizes, especially the ones that are under 100 RW.

The problem is your bass had enough food of the correct size to get to the length that they are now, but they ate all those fish and now they are losing weight. You need BG in there that are 1/3 the length of the LMB and the LMB are so hungry that they aren't letting the BG grow to that size. The LMB are eating them all when they are small, and because they have to expend just as much or more energy to catch the small fish they can't put on any weight.
2 members like this
#565805 Apr 2nd a 04:15 PM
by ewest
ewest
FWIW many of us don't cull/harvest the largest best conditioned BG. If there are too many cull the mid-sized BG.
1 member likes this
#565846 Apr 3rd a 06:27 PM
by Dave Davidson1
Dave Davidson1
I don’t cull them. I like for a bass to go to sleep with its mouth open and wake up with a full belly.
1 member likes this
#566096 Apr 9th a 10:36 PM
by tim k
tim k
Originally Posted by Bob Lusk
Scott emailed me...here are my thoughts.
Cull bass...they started the "problem". Weigh and measure all bass caught. If they are under 90 relative weight, remove those fish. If they are 95 or bigger, release them. Those between 90-95, judge the fish on its own merit. How many, you might ask? All of them under 14" for sure.
If your biggest bluegills are at least six years old, cull some of them...they are at the end of their lifespan. Don't take the best, fattest ones...take underweight fish to make room for other bluegills to grow up into the slot. Cull bluegills to improve the food chain. If trophy bluegills are a significant goal, only take the underperformers of the larger ones.
Increase the lake's productivity by feeding the fish a good, fish-meal-based fish food, and consider fertilization, depending on water clarity.

The dynamics of the population need to be shifted, starting by removing bass...get the mouths off the feed trough. As you do that, alter the bluegills to stimulate a series of spawns. If your adult bluegill numbers seem low due to attrition, consider stocking some younger adult fish, 4-7" long. Feed them and they'll perform.

Last piece of advice...make sure you have enough areas for bluegills to spawn. That's a universal problem I see around most of the south and southeast.

Bob - love a thread I started many many years ago! I posted that one right after you and your better half left our ranch and pond - so after reading all of the awesome post here my plan is to not cull my BG - rather I am going to cull around 50 of my bass between 8 inches and 14 inches. Caught this guy today so I think overall things are going well - he went 7.5 lbs
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#566081 Apr 9th a 04:07 PM
by Bob Lusk
Bob Lusk
Scott emailed me...here are my thoughts.
Cull bass...they started the "problem". Weigh and measure all bass caught. If they are under 90 relative weight, remove those fish. If they are 95 or bigger, release them. Those between 90-95, judge the fish on its own merit. How many, you might ask? All of them under 14" for sure.
If your biggest bluegills are at least six years old, cull some of them...they are at the end of their lifespan. Don't take the best, fattest ones...take underweight fish to make room for other bluegills to grow up into the slot. Cull bluegills to improve the food chain. If trophy bluegills are a significant goal, only take the underperformers of the larger ones.
Increase the lake's productivity by feeding the fish a good, fish-meal-based fish food, and consider fertilization, depending on water clarity.

The dynamics of the population need to be shifted, starting by removing bass...get the mouths off the feed trough. As you do that, alter the bluegills to stimulate a series of spawns. If your adult bluegill numbers seem low due to attrition, consider stocking some younger adult fish, 4-7" long. Feed them and they'll perform.

Last piece of advice...make sure you have enough areas for bluegills to spawn. That's a universal problem I see around most of the south and southeast.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/01/24 08:03 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 07:59 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:53 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:50 PM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:48 PM
How much feed?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:36 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!