Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS, SHORTCREEK
18,528 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,009
Posts558,467
Members18,528
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,604
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
1 members (Joeydickens93), 744 guests, and 475 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
FishinRod, Omaha
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#562846 12/01/2023 9:43 PM
by J. E. Craig
J. E. Craig
Trying to remove as many LMB, as quickly, & efficiently as possible from an pond severely overpopulated with LMB.

Does anyone have any experience with the Garmin Castable sonar? Would it be a worthwhile investment for locating LMB & locating the better places to fish? If used consistent, seems as if it could give you a ballpark idea on how many fish remain & how successful you have been. If it is reliable & works as advertised?

My progress has been slow the past 4 months. I know they are there, but I can't catch them.
Liked Replies
#563388 Jan 6th a 12:04 AM
by J. E. Craig
J. E. Craig
I got the Deeper Pro + 2 at Christmas. It is all I will ever need. Does everything I could want a sonar to do. Easy to use once everything is linked. Confirmed the depth of the pond, shape of the bottom, lack of structure, water temperature, mapped the depth & shape of the pond, confirmed my suspicion that I have some medium size fish with VERY few small & large fish. I have it linked to an almost new iphone 7 that I found on ebay for $45. I would like to figure out how to link it to my tablet. All sorts of different setting to play with. Plenty of online help if you don't understand a feature, also a chat area. GPS works fine.

I saw a price drop $199. to $169. on amazon.

Thanks for everyone's advice & help.
2 members like this
#563668 Jan 19th a 03:41 PM
by gehajake
gehajake
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Well that sucks!

Sounds like operator error on some thing you don't know about as a new operator, or you just got a lemon electronic device.

Wish I could help you, I was looking forward to your reports!

It could have been operator error, there are minimal instructions that came with the unit, I youtubed different instructions and users to see what I was doing wrong but could not find anything I was not doing like they did, while I cant guarantee there were no fish in the area, I would bet a chunk of change that there were at least a few, and I do know there was a huge brush pile under it and could never get anything bu a clean flat bottom screen out of it, Im not sure what one would have to set on a fish finder to get it to acknowledge brush or some kind of obstruction.
1 member likes this
#563670 Jan 19th a 04:24 PM
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by gehajake
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Well that sucks!

Sounds like operator error on some thing you don't know about as a new operator, or you just got a lemon electronic device.

Wish I could help you, I was looking forward to your reports!

It could have been operator error, there are minimal instructions that came with the unit, I youtubed different instructions and users to see what I was doing wrong but could not find anything I was not doing like they did, while I cant guarantee there were no fish in the area, I would bet a chunk of change that there were at least a few, and I do know there was a huge brush pile under it and could never get anything bu a clean flat bottom screen out of it, Im not sure what one would have to set on a fish finder to get it to acknowledge brush or some kind of obstruction.

Go on their website and chat with one of the techs there, or call. They are VERY helpful and knowledgeable.
1 member likes this
#563679 Jan 20th a 05:23 PM
by J. E. Craig
J. E. Craig
gehajake
I think you got the one that i was supposed to get. Out of 24 boxes on the shelf, I can always pick the one with the bum product inside. Talk with tech support further, something does not seem right.

I have spent 5-6 hours with my Deeper. I have been using it to investigate the pond, pond structure & fish population. My Deeper Pro+2 does show brush. It is hard to interpret, looks like static to me. I know there is brush there & the rest of the pond is smooth & flat. Also some spawning disks, hard to interpret but always shows the same way so that is what 36" disks look like. I have it set so that it shifts beams from 20 to 7 when it gets into shallow water. Little icon shows you how much surface area of the bottom you are scanning. No problem in 2-4 feet of water seeing bream. You can use the on board algorithm to interpret fish, Lg, Med, Sm, fish. & distance from surface or bottom. I can NOT interpret fish from just the raw data lines, although the more I use it the more things make sense to me. I still do not understand the return I get from vegetation, spadderdock.

My frustration is the Sm, Med, Lg fish icons. I have gotten Sm & Med returns & never a Lg. So what size fish triggers each size icon. How small does that fish have to be to not trigger a Medium Icon? At what size is a large icon triggered? I understand that the sonar can't be accurate but a ball park would be nice. I know from fishing in an area with a lot of medium icons (i knew exactly at what depth to set the hook & where to drop the line) that a 6-10 inch bream shows as a medium size fish.

If the deeper is working properly from 5-6 hours of playing with it, I know that I have medium size fish, few small perhaps 1 in 20, & No or VERY few large.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
glfranks
Recent Posts
My DIY pond construction experience
by Joeydickens93 - 05/14/24 04:30 AM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by esshup - 05/14/24 12:16 AM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by teehjaeh57 - 05/13/24 11:06 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/13/24 07:26 PM