Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo
18,513 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,988
Posts558,232
Members18,514
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,567
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
6 members (DrewSh, Mainer, Knobber, Boondoggle, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24), 1,178 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
FishinRod, gehajake
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#553018 10/25/2022 10:23 AM
by RStringer
RStringer
Looks like this weekend i will be down in deep Texas. Not sure where it is i didnt set it up. About 10 of us going. I believe the outfit is called boss hog hunts. Wish me luck iv never been on a hunt before (46). Any of ya fellas do these.
Liked Replies
#553035 Oct 25th a 05:40 PM
by RStringer
RStringer
I'm a pretty good shot with skeets. I know its different when its a live animal for sure. Im going more so to just have a get away with some fellas. Any time ya miss just means ya get another shot right lol.
1 member likes this
#553040 Oct 25th a 11:11 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Originally Posted by gehajake
Id like to do some hog hunting some day, its on my bucket list, but I would rather do it in another state, them dang things tend to destroy some land pretty fast I hear.

Hopefully, Rusto can come on next week and tell you about a great place to go hog hunting! grin
1 member likes this
#553047 Oct 26th a 03:52 AM
by esshup
esshup
There is a difference between Skeet shooting, Trap shooting, Sporting Clays shooting, International Skeet, International Trap, Doubles Trap and Bunker Trap.

They all use clay birds. All are vastly different than someone going out to the "Back Forty" and shooting thrown clay birds from a hand trap too.

Look them up and see what the differences are. The one that was initially brought to market to mimic hunting situations is Sporting Clays.

Then you get into the "Protection" shoots or "Annie Oakley" shoots, those are fun! The others are fun too, but I think actual skeet shooting is boring after a while.

If you want to drop a hog in it's tracks, shoot it in front of the shoulder, about 1/3 down from the top of it's back, where the skin makes a vertical crease when the hog moves it's head from side to side. A bullet there breaks the spine and they drop in their tracks. A bullet in the ear will do the same thing, but the crease doesn't move as much as their head does.
1 member likes this
#553078 Oct 26th a 09:29 PM
by Dave Davidson1
Dave Davidson1
Hog hunting could be a daily deal here. I saw the first one on my land about 15 years ago. Now, they are vermin and everywhere. Grandson and his buddy trapped 20 or so in one trap setting a couple of years ago. I’ve had them come up to one of my ponds while wife and I were tossing out pellets. They waded out and started swimming. I’ve pulled up next to them on a 4 wheeler and took pics.

Rusto, be careful about handling them. They are tick infested. When the boys trapped that big bunch my Grandson, 20 years old, 6’5””, and 210 pounds evidently got a tick bite but it couldn’t be found. He wound up in ICU and it was touch and go. Almost lost him.

Not a lot of food plots for deer planted around here anymore. The hogs root everything up.

I expect I could kill one about anytime I wish but I just dont mess with them.

Have fun and clobber some of them.
1 member likes this
#553095 Oct 27th a 05:29 AM
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
I agree with Pat. Our butchers told us that a lot of it depends on the shot. Clean shots, good meat. Poor shots bring adrenaline into play.

I have heard the same thing about deer. (Too much of a rookie to know the truth of the matter as regards deer.)

Would a head shot on a smallish hog be the best course if you were picking one out for eating?

Head shot or where I said to shoot them in the crease in front of the shoulder. That severs the spine and they drop on the spot, dead. Ditto for deer, the 6 or so I whacked last year all were head shots, total tracking distance for all of the deer last year was less than a foot. These are does, more of a population control/freezer filler than anything else. If there isn't much wind and under 150 yds,I wait until they are calm and grazing in the food plot or on acorns, and squeeze the trigger. I am usually shooting from a seated position, either in a tree stand with a rifle rest or from a folding cloth camp chair with a set of trigger sticks. .243, 85g Barnes TSX bullet @ 3350 fps mv. It groups less than 3/4 moa from a bench @ 100 yds, so the accuracy is there
1 member likes this
#553102 Oct 27th a 11:58 AM
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Rusto we eat them , 100# or less and they good ground up or quartered up and bbq. The key is if they smell gamey then they won’t taste to good , I’ve killed boars 150# that had no smell and were edible. 25-40# were more tender to BBQ and were as tasty as a pork butt from the store, Do the smell check and you should be fine

Pat,

When eating the small hogs (25-40#) Texas BBQ style, are the females better tasting, or are the males just as good before they become testosterone-filled beasts?
I have found that as long as the piggie doesn’t have that musty smell they will be fine, I hav cleaned and eaten pigs up to 150# that didn’t smell and they were fine. Boars we’re just as tasty as sows . Have killed sows that were rank smelling that we passed on. If they are actively breeding both boar and sows ain’t fit for eating. I shoot them in the head when going for eating.
1 member likes this
#553110 Oct 28th a 12:27 PM
by RStringer
RStringer
Almost made it down here for the hunt. We are near the town of Pleasanton. I'm shooting an ar-15 with a 300 blackout. Just hours away from the start of it. Hopefully for a good time. Getting 2 bring home a hog for a cookout would be nice bonus.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
What made this noise?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 02:58 PM
RENOVATION TO A POND FILLING IT WITH CONCRETE
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 02:10 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 01:34 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 01:31 PM