Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, Steve Clubb), 933 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
catscratch, FishinRod, SENKOSAM
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by SENKOSAM
SENKOSAM
Late last year a pickerel bit of the tail of my Mr Twister 3" soft plastic grub. I was too lazy to change lures so I cast the grub body minus the tail. Man did it catch fish!! The small bass shown was the first fish I caught with the pick-modified lure. From that day on, I caught over 40 fish on similar designs.

Try this yourself:
1. remove the tail from a grub
2. rig it on a 1/32 oz jig head
3. make sure the line diameter is 4-6 lb test (I use only braid) for best lure action and light strike detection
4. use the rod tip and slight turns of the reel handle to give it action.
5. use a light-action rod and spinning or spincast reel

A child can catch fish on this simple design.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
Sam,
You need to add the [\img] at the end of the last two pictures and then they will embed in your post.

I love the pictures and your creativity. It gives all of us ideas of how to make our own combinations. How do you get the 2 two small rubber bodies to stick together? Would a heat gun work? Does hot glue stick to these rubber bodies?
1 member likes this
by SENKOSAM
SENKOSAM
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
Sam, I don't know what you have got going on, but your obviously catching fish with your Franken-lures.

I am having difficulty understanding the neon green lure and how it is rigged to the jig head. I hate to stress you with another photo request as all forums seem to have their nuances when it come to posting pics, but an explanation of how the green grubs fused at the ends is hooked by the jig hook would be interesting.

There is a simple way to prevent soft plastics from sliding down jig hooks after fish have been caught. I call it a wire grub-grip . Believe me, once you attach the wire in less than 2 minutes per jig, you'll prefer collarless jigs which damage the lure when changing it. BTW super glue is just a bad to prevent plastics from sliding down.

Very few have used the idea posted on many forums. When in place it, looks like the L-shaped wire stuck in the clear plastic. And NO, the wire never spooks fish and can be used on any size jig.
Step-by-step photos of the process.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by SENKOSAM
SENKOSAM
CC: When I use IMGUR's BBC code (copy & paste), the image is full size on PB like this one.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I pre-size, add text, auto enhancement and other stuff via Arc Soft Canon Photo Studio 5 Photo Editing. I always check the size of a photo because many times it needs to be reduced by 30 - 60 % to avoid posting too large a picture.

Because of IMGUR storage problem and posting on forums, I'm forced to use the Attachment Manager under post options link.

You drag the photo from your desk top to the box with the down arrow and can add up to ten photos in total at one time. Of course the reader of the post has to tap the photo for visual enlargement and no photo can be inserted just anywhere. All photos are one the bottom of the post.

(BTW, no mold was used to create the lures shown. A shiny floor tile, box cutter blade, microwave, pyrex cup, hot plastisol and Spike-It dye pen produced them - along with a bit of imagination. No fish is immune from their charms.)
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by SENKOSAM
SENKOSAM
A lighter is difficult to use while trying to slightly melt the two ends to be joined. A candle used to melt one side and then the other allows the ends to be joined and the joined end to cool in less than 4 seconds.

If I don't have a soldering iron handy, I can still use the mod minus smoothing the seam. For large diameters, I roll the seam over the flame to smooth it.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by SENKOSAM
SENKOSAM
Originally Posted by catscratch
I'd like to see that process. Any chance you would make a video of making your plastics for us to see?

The hybrid method was explained, but I'm not sure if you need a video of how to make the spoonminnow. Anyway:
1. you need plastisol (one qt. will make 1,000 lures)
2. pyrex cup
3. microwave to get the plastic hot - around 200 degrees or liquid enough to pour
4. if you don't have dye colors, Spike It liquid or pens will add color to clear plastic
5. shiny floor tile or other glass surface

1.Heat the plastic (old lures won't cuto it).
2.Tip the glassy surface at a small angle so the pour leaves a thin film
3.Use a blade to cut any shape you want
4.Hold the shape by the tail and dip the part that will be the body and let cool a few seconds.Repeat as many times needed until the body thickness is what you want..
5. dip the lure in Spike-It or other soft plastic lure dye; use the pen to create patterns

Now you have the most fish-catching lure ever made - bar none!!!!! All fish species will strike it and hard! Straight thin-tails have an incredible subtle action that drives fish nuts!

As you can see, with just a little imagination the process can be used to make other shapes that can be added to the bodies of lures you own using the candle to join them.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!