Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,938
Posts557,717
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
7 members (Theeck, Augie, Lake8, FishinRod, Joe7328, Sunil, Theo Gallus), 825 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, DrLuke, Shorty, wbuffetjr
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by NEDOC
NEDOC
Ok, I’m here to pick the brains of pond boss members. I’ve got 10 Tiger Muskie that are 13-16” long. I’m planning to divide them into 2 groups of five and put them into 2 different 4’ x 4’ x 4’ cages off my dock. My goal is to train them to feed on cut bait. I’ve got a trout farm up the road where I get fresh frozen trout remains every week. Plenty to feed a few Muskie. My questions are..... 1) will they eat cut bait? And 2) how do I go about feeding it to them?

In my mind I assume they will eat cut bait because I’ve heard of people catching both pike and pure Muskie on cut bait. So that puts me at question #2.... For a few days I plan to just throw the cut bait in and see if they’ll eat it off the bottom. When I began throwing trout remains to catfish, they were smashing it on the surface in days. Can I expect a similar response with Muskie? Or would I be better served to somehow suspend the cut bait in the cage as if I were fishing it under a bobber, but without a hook? And if I choose to suspend the bait for training purposes, does anyone have any ideas how to do such?

Anyway, I wanted to start this thread so I could chronicle my results and share with others that may attempt such a task.
Liked Replies
by NEDOC
NEDOC
Saturday was a warm, overcast, calm day. For whatever reason my Tiger Muskie were showing themselves all day. They were laying in wait of prey just inches under water over the top of weed beds. The light conditions were such that we could observe them for the first time since stocking them last summer. Up until this point I had not observed them at all. Here is a picture of a 21" chunk of a fish. This would be 2018 hatch and one of them that I raised in a cage last spring and early summer then released. We saw a minimum of 4 different TM in my small 2/3 acre pond. We hope to move them to a different pond at some point. This one was caught in a fyke net.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
2 members like this
by NEDOC
NEDOC
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
Great example of what this fish is capable of doing in a small pond. By all means keep us updated as to their progress and growth rate in the small pond habitat. Also monitor the bass numbers and sizes of catch per angler hour. I suspect you will see fewer and fewer of the 8"-12" LMB. Very interesting project. Thanks for doing it and posting the results.

Well, I don't have any LMB. Fortunately, my SMB pulled off a HUGE spawn, and the only one I've ever noticed last year and my pond is full of 5" SMB. I'm afraid that is what the TM are preying on. So next spring I'm hoping to move these TM to another pond.

On a side note, I'm wanting to make a post about pellet training SMB. I've had SMB for most of 18 years in this pond and rarely do I see one take a pellet. I recently started horizontally aerating, or circulating my pond. Immediately it seemed my SMB gained a feeding advantage and were hammering FHM at all times. That was understandable. But I added to that. I put a belt feeder over the top of my circulator so that it would push pellets with the current. Within 18 hours I had HUNDREDS of 5" SMB feeding aggressively on pellets. I want to observe for a while longer before I make a detailed post. BC, do you have any experience with such feeding techniques? And are there any observations in particular that you'd like for me to make?
2 members like this
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/16/24 02:35 PM
Braggin Time
by Lake8 - 04/16/24 02:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday