BJNick - Yes feeding does create a fishery that depends on regular feeding to maintain the same quality of fish present. Lack of food does stress the fish. You can raise some big fish by not pellet feeding. It is just you won't have as many fish present because lack of total food present in the system. Numbers present, actually pounds of fish, will probably be 3X to 6X less fish when on all natural foods than when fed pellets. Feeding basically turns the pond into an animal feed lot. More food means growing more animals. .

As noted a pond without feeding and to have a high quality of fish present, the populations (numbers of fish) present have to be fewer so all those present have ample or enough food for growth. The more food they have the better they grow. In other words, The more food each one has the better each one grows. Slow growing fish are telling you "we are not getting enough to eat" or possibly or probably the fish are too crowded thus too many "hogs feeding at the trough". Managing animals those with fur or scales is all about numbers control.

Without pellet feeding and to have the best fishery in a small 1/4 ac pond HERE is what I would do based on your stated goals for the start.
1. Change some of the beginning fish species. Continue to use the basic forage FHM & GSH. At least for the first few years - OMIT BG and substitute Jones' specklebelly (SBS). These are a very low reproducing hybrid sunfish of BG X Redear. These SBS do not have any of the aggressive bitter tendency as regular hybrid bluegill (HBG) from the green sunfish parent. Better population control.

2. OMIT LMB and start with just HSB. I am surprised that the 'biologist' from Jones did not advise you differently based on your goals and knowledge of fish and what fish they sell.

3. My plan gives ample forage fish FHM & GSH, reduces the chances of getting too many BG bitters with having too many BG over eating the food source and wanting to bite swimmers in a small pond. HSB will not reproduce as do LMB who over populate and eat too much forage. With non reproducing HSB you control the numbers of predators by removing or adding. There will not be a LMB overpopulation and a lack of predator growth.

4. With my plan if you don't like the results of the fish stocked then after several years just add your normal reproducing fish of BG, LMB and maybe perch. Then eventually those prolific species will dominate the pond and very likely eliminate the FHM & GSH to where you are needing to annually buy minnows from Jones. IMO Jones has an annual business and income to protect.

5. If you like my idea for stocking,,,,, return and I will look up Jones' numbers to stock and make new suggestions. Timing of the stocking may vary based on more of your information. An additional option would be to stock a few only female yellow perch(YP) . However you will not get them from Jones.

6. Where do you live in OH? Is buffalo valley a town? There may be a better place driving distance to get your fish. Sometimes a day trip with the kids can be a good quality time adventure.