"What did the pond lack that caused the initial failure? Was it just incorrect compaction?
Regardless, what steps did you take to build the successful v. 2.0 of your pond?
It does look like it is in a small waterway. Is it filling with surface water, or are you filling/supplementing from a well?

Honestly the old pond lacked a plan or experience. There are very few ponds in our area for may grandad to have looked at, or people for him to have talked to. He just dug a hole, built a dam and hoped it would work. I don't remember the old pond being built. I'm sure no amendments were used to help seal it. and I have no idea how well they packed it. We live in a very dry area. While it is on a drainage, (technically the Solomon River) it rarely sees any inflows as the drainage is fairly small. It was mainly fed by a small windmill that would have a hard time keeping up with evaporation let alone any leaks. I have converted the windmill to solar and also fill it from a better electric well on the farm.

This time with Snipes advice and help we made sure the soil was at the correct moisture content, then spread and incorporated soda ash and properly compacted over several lifts. While we had a very wet late spring to help fill the pond, we have been extremely dry since then but the pond has maintained the depth where I want it with the help of the wells.