Originally Posted by shooterlurespond
Yes, I most likely screwed up with the crawfish. First off, he sent me the large ones by mistake, them a free bag of smaller ones. Wish I hadn't put those in.

I don't want to eradicate and start over. Just feels wrong.

Yes, I'm aware that what um doing probably won't work. I just want to try. Maybe if I fertilize more, or get the water in better shape, some of this will take hold. I did harvest some, so hopefully that helps.

I was totally with you about eradicating our pond when we bought it May 1 of this year, I fished it for 30 days before closing and caught a few small, stunted fish. I really didn’t think much was in there, the plan was similar to what you are doing, let’s add a bunch of forage, add some LMB and watch them grow. In 3-5 years I will have a good fishery. I had spent a month reading on the internet, getting a plan together, had my fish sourced and was within 3 days of spending upwards of $8000.00 on fish when I got a call from Bob telling me to get in touch with a local fish biologist. That guy was at my doorstep 3 hours after closing and gave me some options. The pond is 5 acres, at the time it was 1-3’ deep and I thought nothing was in it.
After weighing my options I decided to start over, which is basically what you’re doing without getting rid of what’s already in there and man am I glad I did. As you can see in the photos, this is what was in the pond.
Not saying to go this route as I’m only 8 months into pond ownership but you may be surprised how many fish you actually may already have in there.
Start over fresh or start over with the unknown and try to money whip it.

Granted you probably don’t have Carp in the pond or the catfish which was creating an additional problem in my case
Approximately 6000 lbs of fish in a pond that I thought was almost empty
There were a few giant bass and a couple very large crappie but you have to ask yourself is it better to have a couple or a majority

Your situation interests me because I had the same thoughts and ideas in my head as you currently have
Attached Images