Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
I had a good scope in rings on an aluminum base that less than 20 rounds of 460 S&W knocked loose - the notches in the base were rounded out.

Thanks, Theo. That is some powerful ammo.

Did the scope rings wiggle in the base after they were damaged? Or did your zero change after each shot as the recoil shifted the alignment of your rings?

(Just trying to determine if this is typically a "hidden" problem, or an easily diagnosable problem. I would hate to have a youth hunter miss their first big buck because I screwed up.)

I've had the steel "windage adjustable" scope rings made by Leupold start to walk rearward on the one piece base on my muzzleloader. That was the lighter one, shooting a 250g bullet @ 2300 fps. I switched to the dual dovetail and had 0 problems with the rings moving or the scope moving within the rings. On my .45 cal muzzleloader that is shooting a 300g bullet at 2700+ fps, I have a picatinny rail and steel rings with a 30mm tube 50mm objective scope. No issues with the moving. Check the scope base screw length and make sure that you aren't bottoming out on the bolt or the bottom of the hole before you get the base tight. Degrease all screws and use blue loctite on them. Tighten to the correct inch-lbs. BOTH bases and rings. If needed, you can lap the rings to make sure you get good contact with the scope tube.