Prior to buying my own place, I did a lot of weekend lease hunting and brown is down meant take meat home. But, those were the days prior to herd management. We had never heard of such a thing and ranchers considered any deer as $. In those days there were no antler regs. “It’s a buck” meant shoot.

I used to plant wheat crops to feed deer and cattle. Then the hogs moved in and made a mess of everything. Combine plentiful hogs with our 4 year drought and i haven’t seen a winter crop in years. I wanted to this year but the rains didn’t come at the right time and I had some nasty surgery that kept me off a tractor. I’m still not 100% but getting around ok. Combine that with some nasty arthritis.

My place is mostly hunted by a young couple that I know. They’re hunting this weekend. My Grandson has hunted once and I’ve been twice. Seen some bucks but not shooters.

I have a corn feeder about 75 yards from my kitchen window. Last year a monster buck showed up while we were eating breakfast. I didn’t shoot. I don’t like the idea of shooting one unless I’m hunting.Glad to see it. About 5 years ago a herd of about 20 bucks wandered by that place. They ranged from spikes to Bone and Crocket whoppers. The younger ones stopped by the corn feeder but the big boys just kept walking. Once again, I didn’t shoot because I wasn’t hunting. I had no idea that those guys were in the area.

This year, I’ve decided to keep some corn feeders filled all year. Gonna do a lot of hog hunting.